Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/bin/login: fatal: libauth.so.1: open failed: no such file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jad

Programmer
Apr 7, 1999
GB
umm ... we have a machine that isn't in the building, it is in fact half the country away, running Solaris 8 04/01 i believe. it is in a place that seems to have lots of power cuts #*$%^£~#, and it is still working ... sort of.

it has daemons running on it that are running fine, it has a modem on it and it dials up and receives it's mail, it has a dynamic ip for dial up, but it can connect to us to tell us it's ip address so that i can telnet/ftp to it.

however that was till about 4 months ago, roughly. i don't have much call to telneting into the server, but when i tried it looked like something has changed in the authentication, or has died in a power cut, or something.

has anyone seen this problem, thought of a simple work around, or got any idea of how i can get this system on line by telling a user at the site what to type?

users can log in on the graphical interface on site, but not at the prompt, and noone can telnet into the box.

As a final resort we could go there and physically manhandle the box, do the upgrades we need and sort out other problems but we can find better uses of our time really ... :)

Do you use PAM authentication? Does the file libauth.so.1 exist? If so, is it in the path?
Cheers,
Sorin

as far as i'm aware we don't use PAM auth, libauth.so.1 exists, and seems to be in the correct place ... could be a configuration file got corrupted ... but i have no idea which ones can be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back