Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIG problem with X

Status
Not open for further replies.

sijones

Programmer
Jul 15, 1999
GB
www.theallandale.co.uk
I have just changed over from NT4 to linux on the three computers that the kids uase to access the internet, all well, except that there is a on board trio64 (S3) with 2Mb ram, this has been replaced with an SIS6326 4Mb ram to speed things up a bit. Thios works well with NT4, but with RH6 the probe only finds the S3 instead of the sis, there is no jumper on the motherboard and no setting in the bios to disable the onboard crap, when the sis board is in though the S3 is disabled (blank screen on boot up but sis has screen).<br>
<br>
So I thought I would manully set up the link to the SVGA server the sis is surpose to use, setup fine, but ran startx and the error is: no screens found and no devices found.<br>
<br>
Does anyone know this problem, I have upgraded the bios on the motherboard, just in case.<br>
<br>
The only idea I have is to reprogram the bios again but with the bios that does not have the trio64 in it, will the motherboard fall over???<br>
<br>
Well!!!!!!! <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones@talk21.com>sijones@talk21.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br>The above is all my own site I look after!!!<br>
God am good!!! and good lookin :)

Don't know about RH6, but RH5.2 didn't have an X Server for<br>
the SiS6326 and the standard SVGA server didn't work well. I switched to SuSE6.2, which has SiS6326 support in the SVGA server. SuSE uses a different approach to X implementation, so installing their server in Red Hat may not work.<br>
<br>
The next RH release MAY have improved SiS6326 support. See the info on this site about SiS. W98 says my SiS6326 has 8 MB, but only 4 MB is available for X configuration. The SuSE server doesn't need any of the special tweaks noted on this site, just have to beware the memory availability limitation and can only handle 24 colors.<br>
<br>

Redhat 6.0 did have some trouble with the Sis6326, but I found that the Mandrake X server had no problem with it. If you download the Mandrake X-server and install it by RPM, it should work fine, since it is RedHat compatible. I am doing that in reverse on my Number Nine Revolution, where the Mandrake server doesn't work, but the RedHat one does.

I installed Linux 6.0 on a pentium pro200 with a weitek 9100 pci video card. After doing so I found that Linux does not support this card. Is there a way to configure the server to use maybe vga16 or even mono for this card. I tried all I know. Thanks

you might try installing one of the latest versions of linux (i.e. RH6.1, Caldera2.3, Mandrake6.2, FreeBSD3.3, etc.) that might be a better place for you to start. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back