Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIG problem with speed of application. Very URGENT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonjuice

Programmer
Jun 12, 2003
ZA
I have a very urgent issue here. Whe have written an application in paradox 9. We have installed our application at various clients for testing purposes. Most of the clients have less than 3 pc's and the speed of the application there is fine, but we also have 2 clients that run a network of about 10+ pc's connected to a windows xp server. At these two clients the speed of the application is extremely slow. Q: How do you find the speed of your applications(written in paradox) over a network? Q: Can anyone give my some ideas where to start looking? Q: Can it be paradox, code, network or the specs of the pc's? Also, these two clients both have Norton Anitivirus installed, could this have an effect? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Q: Can it be paradox, code, network or the specs of the pc's?"

YES

Is this a general slowdown, or one that takes place only at certain points or operations during use?

FIRST thing to do is exempt Paradox objects from the antivirus software.

.db, .px, .tv, .x*, .y*, .fam, .f?l, etc

After that, do you have queries in the application? They cause the ENTIRE table to be retrieved to the local workstation before Paradox even starts executing the query.

Any forms with multiple tables in the datamodel? Each table gets opened and a portion of it pulled locally.

Forms with Style Sheets that don't exist on the user's system, or in a path different from the user's, can cause an issue.

Dropdown lists filled at form startup? LOTS of traffic generated getting them ready.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

It is a general slowdown, from even the intro screen of the application. I can understand if our reports with sql and maybe a scan or two can take a while, but everything is slow right from the startup of the application. As to your questions: 1. "Any forms with multiple tables in the datamodel?" Yes. 2. No forms with style sheets. 3. Only one dropdown on a report that is almost never used.

Hello!

I don't know if this helps you, but several of my customers with XP have installed the Netbeui Protokol and have increased the speed.

It is easy to install. I have a step-by-step explanation in norwegian, but if you search on Netbeui on Google, you will find one in English.

Best Regards
Laila

You also need to make sure that you disable oplocks on the workstations and the server. You can go to :

and download a group of reg files that will make the entries for you. Where is the .net file residing on the server? Make sure that it is not at the root of a drive. Put it in a NETDIR directory. Lookup the FAQ on installing Pdox on a network for more info.

James D. Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back