Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIG PROBLEM with DOMAINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenatoServos

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
US
I'm with a problem in my hands.
I started to work at a company that uses " smart.net " as its internal domain and all the computer runs win2000 or xp and 2 server with 2000, and " smart.com" as its email addresses EX: "someone@smart.com" . But now they want to have an exchange server that holds the @smart.com internally.
I never worked with exchange2000 so my questions are:
Can I create an alias for the .com domain?
If I decommission one of the servers and make it a smart.com domain controller what would happen? (I guess that I will have some problem since to log in I only use "smart" as the domain...
and my last problem is:
I do not have an directly external nic card, we have a router with firewall that is our gateway to the internet , on witch I can forward port to the server internal IP. WILL it work, by just forwarding the pop3 and smtp ports to the server? thanks for the input.

With exchange you can setup what domain you want it to collect mail for, remember windows 2000 domains are not the same as internet domains.

"I do not have an directly external nic card, we have a router with firewall that is our gateway to the internet , on witch I can forward port to the server internal IP. WILL it work, by just forwarding the pop3 and smtp ports to the server?"

do you have ANY static ips? you could do some port mapping and your set...give a few more details on your internet setup

yes we do have an static Ip, and i can map the ports. My big problem is with the domain. Do I HAVE to create the "smart.com" internally to be able to recive the email form that domain? And we do not host the web server, but they (our web hosting provider) will forward the MX record to the external static IP.

as far as i know as long as there is an MX record for your domain and you set up exchange to collect for that domain you don't need to set up another domain, but i would post this specific question to the exchange forum, they could probably give more detail

That's true, if you simply set Exchange to accept for smart.com, forward ports 25 (SMTP)and/or 110 (POP3) to that server (assuming you are using port forwarding), and add the appropriate MX record for that server (or the router, if only using port forwarding) into the DNS, it should work. If you DO setup a smart.com domain locally, you may run into browsing problems with DNS when attempting to access any other server on the smart.com domain (i.e. You can fix that problem, but that's a whole different thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back