Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

big batch of mail chokes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmons

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
I have to send out 150 messages or so at once from my library to customers.

Only about the first 40 get out and the rest don't go out.

Where do I start to go about fixing that?
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Here is some info from the qmail doc but how do I implement it? How do I know if my system has resource limits and where do I set the descriptors limit??? Do "deliveries" at once mean the number of actual email messages?

All help is appreciated.

8.1. How do I tell qmail to do more deliveries at once? It's running only 20 parallel qmail-remote processes.

Answer: Decide how many deliveries you want to allow at once. Put that number into control/concurrencyremote. Restart qmail-send as in question 7.1. If your system has resource limits, make sure you set the descriptors limit to at least double the concurrency plus 5; otherwise you'll get lots of unnecessary deferrals whenever a big burst of mail shows up. Note that qmail also imposes a compile-time concurrency limit, 120 by default; this is set in conf-spawn.

The "concurrencyremote" setting sets the number of messages qmail can send simultaneously, not the maximum number of messages it can ever send.

Are all 150 messages making it into qmail's queue?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

Say, how do I tell if all the messages are making it into qmail's queue? What file do I look at to determine that?

Thanks for your help!

sleipnir214,

I'm not able to run the batch right now BUT

I issued qmailctl queue

There are 13 messages Most are DAYS old. How do I try to resend them from the queue? Or should I? What next?

Thanks! emmons

"qmailctl doqueue" should send qmail the ALRM signal, which tells it to retry the queue.

I recommend, however that you tail your current qmail logfile -- for those items to be in there days, there are probably delivery problems (foreign SMTP server not responding on port 25, network errors, etc).

The ones that are "dead", use qmHandle to remove them from the queue.

Well I guess this means I have to install qmHandle. Do I need to stop and start qmail to do this and recompile qmail. Is there another way t remove the dead stuff from the queue? It's not easy to find things in the qmail logfile. That must be why qmHandle was invented.

would I just say qmail stop then install qmHandle then qmail start. how to recompile qmail.

Oh. I don't have much room on my server at all. I may not be able to download it. How much room does it take once it us untarred? unzipped?

qmHandle is simply a perl script that allows you to manipulate qmail's queues. It will stop and restart qmail as necessary.

qmHandle does not require any modifications of any qmail applications.

Since qmHandle is a perl script, it's small -- the tarball is ~5900 bytes long. Uncompressed, the three files in the tarball take up less than 18000 bytes.

do you recommend the book "qmail handbook"?

I think my hard drive is only 2 gigs. I'll have to see if there is room for another 18 megabytes.

It sounds like a good program for sure.

Hey do you know how I can send messages out to users if they are approaching a limit (I haven't set any limits)?

BTW thanks for your help!

oh, also, do you remember in what file you set who the postmaster is by chance?

No, not 18,000 kilobytes. 18 kilobytes. 18,000 bytes. The total length of the three files is 17,368 bytes

I've used Running qmail, by Richard Blum and the website "Life With qmail" ( for my documentation needs.

Your postmaster should have been set in /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-postmaster

alrighty then.

I am going to follow your suggested links and read and figure out how to get qmHandle onto my server.

thanks!

well I went to the qmHandle site and didn't see documentation telling me what exact location to put it into.

do I put the file in /var/qmail but then where?
or does it figure out by itself where to go? it probably knows once I get the file onto the server and type tar tzf(to see where it will go).

i log onto the mailserver from home with ssh but when i type ftp nothing happens. oh shoot. i guess I have to wait for my kid to come home from school to do this. imagine that. i must not have ftp installed?? how the heck did we get all these files on this server anyway? sheesh!

wait a minute

i can email this file to myself as an attachment. then it will be on the email server.

then how do i separate the attachment from the email message so i can uncompress it?

i know i am bombarding you with questions BUT

is there supposed to be a file .current.swp

in /var/log/qmail/ because I think I may have accidentally created it. not sure.

I usually use pico. I tried vi but couldn't figure out how to get out of it. nothing worked so I closed the connection to the server and reconnected. I wonder if I created the .current.swp by doing this or if I just never noticed it was always there.

what do you think.

hey,

I found I need to use scp. do you know what I would type in at the command line to get qmHandle from sourceforge.net to my machine?

emmons

I tried this with no success

[root@mail /]# scp -S anonymous@umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/qmhandle/qmhandle-1.1.0.tar.gz

no luck
am i even close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back