Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BiCSi Training for Green to Experienced

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD5

Technical User
Jun 8, 2007
US
Hey folks I'm nine years in the industry of cable installing I've done some of a lot and have learned many tricks and picked up many tips I'm moving up in the field just now starting to gain a Tech status with an actual company Green no longer lingers in my mind. My company provides the further education and BiCSi training I'm going to need. Does anyone have suggestion where to start I'm looking for resource/research material I know there is a lot I have not learned only been shown how to with no explanation as to why. In my current situation my know how connected with my lack of proper certifications has never been a problem because I've always been the eager grunt willing to learn and do as I go. Books and testing scare the life out of me but I'm at that point I want to learn more. Where is the best place to start my venture. I'm afraid I've been taught too many tid bits of stadards for Telephony etc. Going from a simple desk clerk to having my boss come to me and say you understand computers can you fix the phone system a 600 unit PBX at an RV resort with the help of the WinStar tech who came out to do some needed repairs to get it operational again and a very out dated manual I learned in a matter of a week how to operate that system From there going on to be just a grunt in the field pulling every LV cable known to the industry I feel as though I have this puzzle to build for my own knowledge but have a mix of pieces of several different puzzles all clustered together. Any advice is greatly appreciated

AndyD5

You may have to start with the lower level certifications and work your way up to the RCDD. The installer class would help you even with the amount of experience you have. This could give you some of the standards that you have heard about, even followed, and now can understand. It would be (IMO) a good starting point.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I used to work in Salt Lake City, and the Salt Lake Community College is a certified BICSI training center, as well as for AMP cabling. It's only a 5-6 hour drive from LV, so this might be a close location. Try going through the BICSI website also. Good luck!

I don't know about the RCDD level, but I started out in the Technician class. All you have to do to get in there is type up a resume showing five years of cabling experience. Helps considerably if you get in with a company that will pay for the classes and actually pays for the CEs. If you want to familiarize yourself with the coursework, you should still be able to pick up some of the lower level manuals through Borders. I think Houghton Mifflin made them, but they are official BICSI.

I have had one of my suppliers offer to get me enrolled in the RCDD classes, but my current company is neither a BICSI member nor will they pay for me to take the classes.

Forgive the total ignorance but what does RCDD even mean I realize it's someone with a lot of training and experience but I've never run across anyone with that title in their name. My employers have all been via one main office and the people I actually work for do not provide the training etc just the various job sites train you to better understand just what you needed to know for that jobsite as in what was required of you. I learned today they have training for the different types of products we install such as Seimons, Avaya etc.... and those are to start soon and I feel comfortable at that level but I'd like to know more of the why is Cat6 better than 5e etc

Andy the Cable Guy Chandler, AZ

My employer just recently brought in an RCDD from ATP to give us a quick 1 hour lecture on proper cabling (I suspect they did it because we recently bought a lot of stuff from them through Graybar) and I was amazed at all the stuff I thought I knew but didn't - and that was in just a short little talk and demonstration.

I can seriously see the bvalue in RCDD and Bicsi.

AndyD5, RCDD is Registered Communications Distribution Designer. Most of the people that I've known with this designation are either Project Managers or CAD people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back