Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BICSI/TIA Question On Cat6 Behind Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMan

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
Hey guys, I have a client who had cabling installed, believe it or not, behind 4-5 electric baseboard 3-4' heaters, some of which may be 347v.... Not one or two, but a whole bundle.... I am going to recable because they have so many connection issues, but I have to write a letter for them to be able to pursue the other cabling company for the botched job. Can anyone think of any pertinent TIA/EIA or BICSI codes I should cite... I am going to peruse my codebooks, but many heads are better than one!

Many Thanks!

The only option is behind the heaters? If so I'm going to say metal molding, but others please chime in as well.

Always look out for the next guy because it may be you!

Wow! Was the installer on crack?

From
ANSI/NECA/BICSI 568-2006

3.5.1.1 Steps to Installing Cable Support Systems

5) Metallic cable separation
Minimum separations distances from possible sources of EMI exceeding 5 kVA
Unshielded power lines or electrical equipment in proximity to open or nonmetal pathways: 610 mm (24 in)

Also See TIA 569-B Annex C, "Noise reduction guidelines"
and
ANSI/TIA/EIA-758 Customer-Owned Outside Plant Telecommunications Cabling Standard

The lazy option was behind heaters.... the proper choice was conduit and pull boxes..... Crack may have been a factor.... RandyBear, spot on... will have to get those out. I am sure there is a NEC code too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back