Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BGP on 7480 Passport 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2004
IN
Hi,

Can BGP be implemented on nortel 7480 passport?has someone does this before? I have a necessity where in I have a connection to Two sites from where I can access data.
We are using 2peth100 card for data trasfer on LAN, on WAN side we have PVC/DLCI to carry the data traffic.
Currently we have static routes in place to route data to both the sites of one is Disaster Recovery site only.
My requirement is that I need to have a automatic switch over of the Traffice to DR site incase the main site fails.

we have BGP running between the Edge switches, but since we are using static's in passport, the switch over does not happen and I have to maully add the route for DR site...

Any/All sugesstion welcome...Thanks

BGP can certainly be implemented on 7400 series passports. I'm not really sure you need it though. It sounds, from what you've described, that two weighted static routes would do the trick - certainly easier to implement/fault-find and easier on the card resources. I might be misinterpreting what you're trying to do though.
If you do need BGP, yes you can do it. Try to get hold of the Nortel Technical Publication (NTP) "Configuring IP". If you can provide a bit more clarification about what you're trying to do with BGP, we might be able to send a sample config...

Thanks NT. Why I need BGP is cause I have already three weighted Static routes for a Destination IP address. We are using ECMP. I have 3 Static in place corresponding to 3 PVC's over the WAN with each of CIR of 1.2 Meg.
Running BGP over PP will help me get RID of Static's and the Pain of Manaully deleting and adding the routes for the DR site and Hope that BGP will take care of the Delivery of Packets via availble Site.
Will it cause too much load on the Cards?

BGP itself won't necessarily add too much load on FP's/CPs that you run it on - it depends what else you are doing on the box. BGP will obviously need some of its own resources for routing, but if you only need a simple implementation, you should be okay.
Are you able to get a copy of the NTPs as I mentioned above - specifically the "Configuring IP" and "Understanding IP" NTPs? I've said elsewhere that the "Understanding IP" NTP is well worth reading even if you are a CCIE, as it is more a guide to what Nortel means by routing IP - it's not always what you might be used to. Some people say they don't adhere to some standards, others (such as Nortel) say Nortel just interpret the standards differently...

Noo. I have been trying to get a loginto th site thru My vendor...But they seem to be very lethargic.. I am tryin to get it out of them... Is there any other way out?

At the moment I am only online at work so unfortunately I can't set up and offer you an FTP site etc...
Firstly, I'd stay on Nortel's back about getting your logon! Call them every day, or many times a day, and remind them how much money they COULD be making in sales if they offered decent support. Show them configuration examples of how to implement exactly what you want using cisco routers, which you will be able to get quickly, freely available from Cisco's website! Tell them that you are already measuring Nortel's response not in minutes or hours, but with a calendar!
Okay I've finished my rant now. Perhaps if any other passport folks have NTPs available on an FTP site somewhere?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back