Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bevy of unusual problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesehead

Vendor
Aug 12, 2001
US
I am working on an older AMD 450 machine made by Proteva. It is the standard integrated mother board etc. and is running 192 mbs of ram. This computer running Windows 98 came to a complete crash. I have since done an FDisk and a reformat and have loaded 98SE after about 15 unsuccessful attempts. The problem now is that after the machine is up and running for about 10 to 15 minutes it does a complete restart no matter what program is running. Upon the restart it generally gives me a Windows Protection error with a different VXD file listed as the problem. If I unplug the PC and give it 30 minutes or so it will come up again just fine for another 10 to 15 minutes. What do I need to do to get around this, it has me completely stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Likely bad memory. Take out all but 1 stick and see if the system is stable. If so, keep adding memory, 1 stick at at time to see if the machine starts to act up. This will help diagnose which memory stick is bad.

It would seem to me that the machine may be overheating after a certain period of time . Check the operation of the CPU fan and any other fans you may have within the case. You say you have 192MB of ram. I assume this is a 128 plus a 64 or 3 64's. Whichever, take out a stick of ram and see what happens. You may have to rotate which stick you remove until you find a culprit. Apart from that, take it to a shop, it could save you time and money in the long run. Good luck..........Dave

The fans are all in good order. I had tried reseating the memory but not pulling it. Will try that tomorrow.

My last computer started acting like this when the power supply started going out. I replaced that and then the symptoms you described went away for me.

Good luck, and happy computing True knowlege is not the knowing in and of itself, but in the knowing of how and where to find the answers.

Sounds like possibly a weak power supply or one that's getting ready to quit. You also might check the CPU fan to make sure it's on tight and working. It sounds like a heat problem either way.

I vote with Accessdabbler. Others are possibilities but memory more likely.
You might also check the power supply voltage select switch. Machines will run years with it set wrong, then upchuck.
You also need to consider the possibility that you have developed 2 separate problems. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back