Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

better tool than dbx

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMillionDollarMan

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
US

Is there a better tool than dbx?

I am used to MS VC++ and I can't stand to work with dbx. arrrg.

Thanks
D

Which flavour of unix do you have, and which compiler?

--

I think it's called either 'debugger' or 'dbxtool', which is a windowed type thing, allowing you to do the usual things you can do with a grapical debugger.

But it could be one of those $$$ options, but I can't see how you would really want to separate the debugger from the compiler.

[tt]ls /SUNWspro/SC3.0/bin[/tt]
is probably worth a shot

--

5.6 is quite ancient. I was using it 6 years ago. There is something called debugger or debug for 5.6. Anyway

F5 = run or cont
F9 = break at
F10 = next
F11 = step

Clicky bits on stopping when exceptions are thrown = intercept -a

Ctrl G and line number = line xxx
Ctrl O and open a file = file xxx
stack trace = where
clicky bits going up and down the stack = up or down

Nice bits that don't exist on Visual studio

func xxx goes to source of function xxx
You can also set the display to another terminal for multi terminal debugging.

If you have 5.7, the debugger is windows gone crazy. They are all over the place.

If you have 5.8, it is called workshop. Similar to 5.7 but they got sensible and started using tabs and docking windows. This is similar to Visual Studio: it isn't perfect and locks up/crashes occassionally: just like visual studio but at least it doesn't lock up you whole workstation!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back