Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beta 3 2000,RC2 & Pro 2000 Evaluation version 2195

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnelson

Technical User
Feb 21, 2000
US
I installed beta 3 on top of Win 98, then RC2 on top and then Win 2000 Pro Evaluation on top of every thing. My question is can I use the final release &quot;Up Date&quot; to get 2000 on with out the final full release??<br>
Ron Nelson

Ron,<br>
Never dealt with the final release update so can't answer the question.<br>
<br>
Final release will upgrade 9x/3.51/4.0 W2K RC2 and RC3 (maybe RC1). I'm not sure RC2 was supposed to upgrade the Betas, but I can't find my docs, and in any case, yours did.<br>
<br>
I upgraded RC2 and 98 (original) with W2K final release and had no problems, but decided after the fact, to take them back to virgin drives and install from there. A new OS deserves a clean start.<br>
<br>
bye ... jrc

On general principles I would agree with Cooter. If you're actually going to do any work with the machine, format the drive and start fresh. The general rule has always been <i>upgrade your OS, upgrade your problems...</i> <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

A answer to my posting. Those that have Win 2000 Evaluation (2195)120 day time limit over Win 95,98 or NT can install the final copy of Win 2000 UPGRADE with a patch from Microsoft. You will find this at the regular Web 2000 site under downloads (Management & Deployment Tools). It is named &quot;appupd&quot;. Install directly from the site and it will save your settings. On to install Win 2000 Upgrade. Works good, no problems for me.<br>
Ron Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back