Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Webhosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLR

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2002
IN
Hi,

We have hosted our Website with Apollohositng.com’s Virtual Private Servers. Off late we found following issues

1. Mail Missing
2. Delay in Mail Delivery
3. Password get locked
4. Poor Techsupport

We are seriously thinking of changing our hosting to some other reliable hosting company. Please suggest best web hosting.

Any help appreciated.

-MBLR

This will be kind of hard for people to help with because most people haven't used a whole bunch of companies. So maybe everyone will just offer feedback on what they have used. Here's mine.

1and1.com

Before the first of the year they were offering their professional package for free for 3 years. I signed up. I currently host 3 domains with websites for all. I also use their email servers with webmail. Because it is a free service package I don't get the usual phone support, just email. I haven't had any problems except a few speed issues with email. Those are probably related to the free service, I sure hope that a paying customer would get betters speeds. As for the management of the websites, they have some great tools. Once you logon to the control panel you are able to creat feedback forms, counters, guestbooks, and numerous other things. They also have reporting statistics on visitors, pages, and a few other things. All around, I think they are pretty good.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. We do have signed up with 1and1 90 days money back package. We found following with 1and1.com

1. Password Limited to 6-8 letters.
2. To configure POP, we have to use mxxxxxxx-y ID provided by 1and1.com while creating the email Account.
3. GUI of the Webmail is not looking good.

-MBLR

I am looking for hosting as well, but I am lookin more for budget hosting. I need something that costs very little, but has a fair amount of storage/bandwidth. E-mail and other services are not that important. I will just be hosting a personal site most likely.

I've been using domainnamesanity for 3 years, and host 2 businesses and a personal site. Very satisfied! For less than $65/yr, you get 100 mb storage, 2 gb/month bandwidth and ftp. No cgi though.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT (yes i am meaning to shout) go anywhere near FastHosts.com or FastHosts.co.uk.

There technical support is excellent but unfortunately you'll spend most of your working life using it!

There servers are slow and overcrowded at the best of times and totally unavailable at the worst times. For instance I had a site down for 72 (yes thats 72) consecutive hours!!!

I'm with 1&1 now and the site is working perfectly.

By the way, I have nothing against FastHosts other than my bad experiences.

With regards to 1&1 there technical customer service is pretty poor. For example I asked if it was possible to do x,y,z with ASP.Net and was told to use ASPX instead!!!! I was laughing for a good 30 minutes. Apart from that they are excellent.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back