Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

downtime

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
US
What would be the best way to find empty fields within a table? What would the criteria look like in a query, assuming that a query would be the best choice.

downtime,

If the fields (text fields) have never had data then they are NULL. In the Criteria row of the query design grid for the field you want to check for NULL, type the words IS NULL.

I agree with vb6novice, but I would make a habit of checking for empty strings, too. Like this...

IS NULL OR ""

Good Luck,
Poop

What type of message? A message at the end of the search that says whether or not there were empty fields or a message for each empty field found? Do you want to give the user the chance to provide the data for the field? Or do you want to prevent the user from adding a row to the table until all fields are not empty?

I would like to give a message then give the ability to add to the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back