Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightstar

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
Hi,
Its been a long while since ive plaed with access - and its showing.

ive got a list box on a form showing contact details.
i want the user to be able to select multipple selections in this box and then click a button that apends these selections to another table in the database.

it's been so long i cant even wrap my head around where to start!

ive got the multiple selcetin thing working and the right info is displayed in the list box - just cant get the button working. do i need some ADO/DAO code or just an update/append query or something?

much appreciate any help.

free, anonymous advice provided by the whole world

there's 2 ways, you can either open up your table with a recrodset(ado/dao) and then add the selected items into the table with the recordset.add and .update or you can generate a sql insert statement and use docmd.runsql to run that sql statement.

I tend to go the sql route since making connections and opening recordsets are generally longer procedures, although there are many factors which could change that...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I'll add my 2 cents.

1) Don't use docmd, it's just a wrapper.
2) You need to loop through your items to get which are select.
3) If you're not using SQL or ADO, you can always pass parameters to a saved query, and run it (not recommended)

Recommended example:

Code:
dim str_Tmp as string
dim str_MyString as string

str_tmp = ""
str_Mystring = ""
for i = 0 to me.list0.listcount - 1
 if me.list0.select(i) = true then
   str_Mystring = str_tmp & str_Mystring
   str_tmp = ", "
 end if
next i

currentproject.connection.execute "insert into TableRecievingData [Your fields] select [Your Fields] from [TableSendingData] where [YourKey] in (" & str_mystring & ")"

This was by the seat of my pants, but you get the idea.

Randall Vollen
National City Bank Corp.

ended up with this - and it worked a treat, thanks!

str_Tmp = ""
str_MyString = ""
For i = 0 To Me.LstContacts.ListCount - 1
If Me.LstContacts.Selected(i) = True Then
str_MyString = Me.LstContacts.Column(0, i) & str_Tmp & str_MyString
str_Tmp = ", "
End If
Next i

CurrentProject.Connection.Execute "INSERT INTO TblMailGroupMembers (Mailgroup, MailGroupMember) SELECT " & Me.OpenArgs & ", TblContacts.contactid FROM [TblContacts] WHERE ([TblContacts.ContactID] in (" & str_MyString & "))"

free, anonymous advice provided by the whole world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back