Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Way to use a list of values as a filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BISailor

Technical User
Dec 7, 2006
US
I am looking for a way to overcome a limitation in Report Studio where the Filter can't exceed 11,500 characters and I have 25,000 if I structure my query the way I have it right now. The requirement is to find all revenue for partners who are partners of a specific Distributor. The input I have is a list of account names.

I currently am using a "field like value or ..." structure. I have tried using a "Field in (list of values)" structure and that actually increased the number of characters in my query.

I know I should actually tag the data but at this point I don't have that capability in the source system and no way to append it in ETL either. What are your recommendations?

can't the Search and Find object help you on this area ?

Have you tried multiple filters as a work around?

Hey BISailor,

Maybe your list is an excel-sheet, better access (!), than you can integrate the list in the frameworkmanager as a new datasource. Before, you must integrate the list (Access) as a new source in the cognos connection! When the list has an ID, so you can have an relationship between the list and another table in the fm. Than you can prefilter your datas in the reportstudio. Maybe you can use a prefilter and a cascading filter, so you can reduce the datas. Even you can create an own access-sheet, for your filters!

Try it, coggerm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back