Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to upgrade hard drive with NTS 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanson

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
We want to move the entire NT setup from our old server to a new server. I tried restoring onto the new hard drive, but it won't boot up (various system files didn't backup because they were in use).

Is there either:

a) A better way to do this than backing up the old HD and restoring onto the new or:

b) Is there a trick to the backup or restoration process that will let me create a duplicate hard drive or:

c) Do I need to load NTS 4.0 and manually load all the programs over again?

If the answer is c, then how do I get by the 1024 cylinder limit?

Hanson

Norton Ghost will do the job for you. Drive Image by PowerQuest is a good choice also.

Doesn't Norton Ghost require the same hardware (or at least NIC) to work?

I also don't want to spend a ton of money for what is essentially a one shot process. Considering the problems I'm having restoring from a backup, what happens when you actually need to restore due to disk failure? How are you supposed to get up and running if you can't back up locked system files?

Commercial backup systems (Seagate Backup Exec comes to kind- must be something newer than that by now) will let you back up files in use. NT backup really is all about data recovery. Think of it this way- it is rare in my experience that an OS just suddenly crashes as the result of a single error, rather, it is usually the end result of an accumulation of small errors that progressively get worse. The admin sees what is going on, yes, but does he/she recognise the looming problem? A restore in such a situation would simply set the clock back.

Anyhow, Drive Image Pro is a good choice, but the caveats regarding device drivers are not to be ignored- if you are moving to a new hardware platform you can expect real problems. Not insurmountable, just real...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back