Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to upgrade from 2000 server to 2003 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdJoey

MIS
Mar 28, 2007
US
Currently we are running 2000 server and 2000 exchange

I have seen many other handles explaining how to do this but I was wondering what is the best method?

I just recently installed 2003 R2 joined it to the domain as a member server. This server will become the new DC. I have read that I have to use the adprep utility on the current dc then the dcpromo util on the new Dc. After that has completed I have to decommission the old Dc using the dcpromo util but my question is should I upgrade the exchange server to 2003 exchange/server first? Does it matter? Which has a better success rate?

We had planned on upgrading to 2003 ad first then the exchange 2003 a few months later. Can someone tell me why I wouldn't want to do it that way?

thanks for any help you can provide

My advice...

Bring the new 2003 server online, patch/update, and dcpromo it up to a DC.

With both DC's online in AD, work on migrating your exchange to exch2003 on the new DC.

There are tons of migration tools out there for this. It's not as bad as it may sound going from 2000 to 2003.

Once the new DC is online as Svr2k3/Exch2k3, backup and data you need on the old DC and run dcpromo to demote it. Then, rebuild it fresh with Svr2k3, and repromote it if the hardware is up to date.

Have a look at at this for exchange upgrade

You will need to run adprep from the 2nd 2003 r2 CD to update the AD schema before promoting your 2003 r2 box to a domain controller.

Paul

MCSE 2003

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

Thanks for your replys so far.

Let me clarify, When upgrading exchange I will be using new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back