Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to store item attributes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guru2B

Programmer
May 24, 2000
GB
Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what the best way to store an item that has many attributes would be.

I have to set up a database to store various articles of clothing. Each style of clothing comes in different sizes; adult, youth and child. Within each of these groups ( adult, youth and child) there are further sizes small, medium, large and so on. An adult shirt could be a different price than a child's shirt. I also have to store measurements for each size (small,medium and large)

What's the best way to store this information? I have been mulling this over for too long now.

Help.

Hi!

Problems like your one I solve by creating of separate tables for different items. In your case I would create following tables (codificators):
Table SizeGRP
GroupID
- primary key
GroupName

Table ClothSize
SizeID
- primary key
SizeName

Table Clothing
ClothingID
- primary key
ClothingName
GroupID
SizeID
Price
etc.

Relationchips:
Clothing.GroupID --> SizeGRP.GroupID
Clothing.SizeID --> ClothSize.SizeID

Then I would be created comboboxes on form based on tables SizeGRP and ClothSize for updating of fields GroupID and SizeID of table Clothing.

Reports and viewForms are possibly to create via queries based on these three tables.

I hope you understood my idea.

Aivars

Thank you very much for the reply. That's what I had in mind actually. I thought I my thinking was out.

Thanks again,
Guru2B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back