Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to restore GroupWise on 2000 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenMuster

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

I need your help, I need to restore a 2000 server with Novell GroupWise from couple of months ago, on a different server with different hardware. I'm using Veritas Backup Exec as a backup software. I have a full backup with system state and sysvol. So far I'm not successfull, the problem I have is that after restore is done it doesn't boot properly, it is in some kind of loop. I have tried so many things and I can't get it to work. Could someone give me step by step instruction how to restore my server?

Any help is gratly appriciated.

Thank you,

Alex.

I'm not a windows person... But what I would do is build a Win2000 server, then restore ONLY the groupwise database, not the entire server.

Once you have the database restored, it's just a matter of installing the agents and pointing them to the database.

The main thing is you don't want to overwrite any of the system files when you do your restore.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I tried that, but then I have a problem because the users are not in nds. If somehow I could restore NDS and all the users I should be able to restore all the accounts from the wpdomain.db

Let me know what you guys think,

Thank you,

Alex.

Well.. I gotta go back to my original thought and just add to it.. After you have got the server rebuilt, you need to put eDirectory on it.. If you insert it into your existing tree, you can put a replica on it and that will give you all of your user objects.

Just curious, what are you trying to achieve by pulling the old groupwise back.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thanks Huffaker for your help,

Need to recover couple accounts beacuse of the lawsuit.

Because those accounts were on older server I cannot use restore deleted account function in groupwise 6.5. At least it does'nt work for me. I can bring the account back to nds and postoffice, but when I tried to get in to their mail boxes it's giving me errors. I followed every possible procedure that I found in TIDs to fixe it.

I'm a newbe with Novell groupwise, so if you could give me more detailed instructions how to recover that server I would aprrciated it.

Thanks,

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back