Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to migrate exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 to Exchange 2000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombillet

MIS
Aug 16, 2004
US
Hello,

I was hoping that someone would have experience on best/easiest method to migrate Exchange 5.5 runnig on one Windows 2000 server to another Windows 2000 server running Exchange 2000.

I have two Windows 2000 servers with each one completely self-contained with their own DNS, WINS, DHCP etc. The one is an old computer/server and needs to be retired. I purchased a new computer/server and did the setup but I am not sure the best way to get the email and accounts to the new server. Is it best to use the Exchange migration wizard? Also, is it best to use the Windows Active Directory Migration Tool to copy the accounts first?

Thanks for any help and insight,

Tom

If the new server will be a DC in the existing domain, you don't need to migrate accounts.

For Exchange, you can use the Migration Wizard, or use Exmerge to export the email on the 5.5 side, and then use it again to import into the 2000 side. You can also use the ADC for Exchange. Many choices.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks for the response.

The new computer will be a DC but in it's own new domain. Therefore, I need to get the email and accounts from the old domain to the new domain.

Tom

You could setup a trust between the two domains. If there aren't a lot of users, I'd exmerge it out of the old server and into the new server.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

We did this very thing.

Old NT domain with Exchange 5.5 (300 Workstations 460 users)

1. Created trust between domains.
2. Created and added (New Domain) permission admin to exchange 5.5.
3. Migrated workstations with Active Directory Migration Tool.
4. Migrated users over to the new domain. (Still using olddomain\john.doe)
5. Migrated Exchange 5.5 server over to new domain.
6. Exported users from Exchange, changed primary logon, reimported users. (olddomain\john.doe to newdomain\john.doe)
7. Set up ADC connector and install Exchange 2003 on new hardware in new domain to the existing Exchange 5.5 structure.
8. Set default email address on new exchange server
9. Move mailboxes and public folders to Exchange 2003 information store.
10. Add new exchange server to existing DNS MX Records with a higher preference.
11. Configure new exchange server to send/receive mail directly.
12. Set New exchange server to lower preference.
13. Verify Mail is coming/going through New Exchange server.
14. Wait a while (Month)
15. Remove exchange 5.5 server from mail configuration.
16. Remove Active Directory Connector from domain.
17. Remove Trust between domains.
18. Shut down old domain.

Things you will need to read up on first.

1. Domain Trusts (MS)
2. Active Directory Migration Tool (MS)
3. Exchange Migration 5.5 to 2000 or 2003 (MS)
4. Remove last 5.5 exchange server (MS)

David

Thanks for the responses. Since there are only about 15 users I think I will use the Exmerge program. I have tested this and it seems to work okay.

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back