Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to learn Commvault Galaxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrrk

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2004
US
My preference would be to obtain some admin guides in pdf form and read through them to learn how the product works, is installed, and how to administer/troubleshoot it. I can't find anything on the site though even under maintenance advantage.

Is formal training the only real way to learn the product well?

What would you recommend?

You will have received the documentation with your cd's....it's on the documentation disc (disc 3 I think).

You need to install it onto a pc and the info is searchable and quite indepth.

The formal training is ok but, you will learn more just by using it....out of the 3 big vendors (Legato, Veritas and CommVault)Galaxy is definately the easiest to learn.

PinnacleData Systems (UK)

There are no PDF type documents to get. As birky stated the documentation is all on disk. My recommendation is to have a contractor come in and take you thru it the first time. Commvault uses different terminology the way it works compared to say Veritas. We were a Veritas shop for many years. We went to the class and really didn't get much from it. We then paid a contractor to come in and help us get it set up and working. It definitely makes more sense now and it helped that the contractor helped guided us thru the install letting us do everything while he advised us on best practices.

> it helped that the contractor helped guided us thru the install letting us do everything

That's exactly how a consultant should help. It is my opinion that having a consultant come to your site is much cheaper in the long run. It is far greater than any classroom could ever be. The only downside is actually making yourself free from your daily activities.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

I went to one of Commvault's training classes and I wasn't impressed with the instructor or the content. I learned the most from the consultant start-up, reading documentation on my own, and then asking a lot of questions to tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back