Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to learn Cognos

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8er1

Programmer
Jan 2, 2005
US
My company is getting Cognos soon. I think ReportNet is the tool we are going to be using. Any books out there on this.
And how is it compared to Crystal? Better?
WHat are its plusses and minis?

Thanks

There are no third-party books on Cognos as far as I know. If your company will be buying the tools (or even if you are considering), perhaps the vendor sales rep can get you a copy of the online books.

I liked Cognos Impromptu better than Crystal. We will be upgrading to Report Net in the next few months. so I will pass on comparing Report Net to Crystal for a little while.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

This is really no way to compare the two. They are very different. Cognos is VERY protective regarding their products and very little external information is made available. Cognos SUCKS regarding providing detailed info and good working sample application demos for their products. This is unfortunate because it doesn't lend itself to a very open situation.

I'd strongly suggest taking a Cognos course if you can afford it. Cognos makes a pile of money from their training programs and these might actually be more profitable than the products themselves. Anyway if you can get a hold of the PDF documents you will be able to learn everything you need to know in order to get at least a good start. ReportNet is very different from other reporting tools. There is a learning curve. It requires a lot of advance thought when designing your models. Changes in a model can be very costly if the proper though hasn't been applied in design.

ReportNet is a NEW product and will go through growing pains. We've found numerous problem areas that will likely become enhancements down the road. Don't get me wrong, ReportNet is a great product!

Look Luck [smile]

I finally got to a point where I am productive in Crystal and now they want to bring on a new product...
and without training...

I have been using ReportNet for about one year. I think the product is great. I haven't found any problems, on the contrary, once you get a good working knowledge of the product, there is no reporting tool out there that compares to it. Probably my favorite feature is that you can develop a sql that grabs the data you need, and you can just dump it in ReportNet, thus creating your report.

Hi to everybody,

I know that exist a way to link two columns in a Cognos ReportNet NewPage.
I would like to insert the folders tree (with my report) in the left side (left column) and open the relative report in the right side (right column) all in the same page.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance. [pc3]

H69PP, What are you doing on this question? Oh heck, just drag and drop the columns to get them to where you want them. If it is not working, you are not clicking at the right time. Check out your help files for details on moving the columns around.

CP [cook]

I'm sorry, I don't know haw I'm here, I think that I 've made a mistake!!!
Sorry again.

Thanks.

Someone here asked the Cognos sales rep the same question.

Microstategy vs. Cognos he admitted was very comparable when it comes to funcationality. However licensing for Microstategy was a nightmare. When asked how Business Objects compared to Cognos he was almost offended.

Mark Stewart
Senior Analyst
Consultants Club Corp.
Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back