Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Way To Import VBA (or equivalent functionality eg macro) in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCour

MIS
Jul 15, 2004
US
To remove funky newline characters after exporting data from Access, I have the following line of VBA.

Cells.Replace What:=vbCr, Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

I am creating a command button and placing the code there. I would prefer to avoid messing with vba every time I want to execute the replace. Is there an easier way to do this? The main interest is allowing the user to use the replace functionality without having to mess with vba.

I am open to vb scripts as well, as I could kick that off without the user knowing.

Let me know if you have thoughts.

Thanks
Blair

And what's the difference between vb scripts and running VBA ???
Your best bet is to create an add-in which creates an extra menu. Attach the replace code to that new menu item

Rgds, Geoff

Never test the depth of water with both feet

Help us to help you by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

If I do it in a script, it will happen in the background without the user knowing. If I do it in VBA, the user has to engage and actively run the code.

I am generating the excel spreadsheet through VBA in access ... in that same procedure, I would like to run a script that will do the same thing that the VBA would do.

Regarding the vbScript, if I am running the following in VBA, what would I need to do to have the same thing work in a script. I imagine I will need to cite the excel file and set an object = to it and go from there.

Cells.Replace What:=vbCr, Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

Let me know how to run this in a script that I will trigger from within VBA.

Thanks
Blair

Better yet, is ther a way to run

in the VBA in my Access database? I should be able to reference the excel file and do from there.

Let me know what you think

Thanks
Blair

Hi LaCour

I've never had any need to do any replace after exporting, I'm assuming you're not exporting to an .xls file, then opening in excel
anyway... you can do excel stuff in access vba...
here's a snippet from one of my databases that exports to a spreadsheet, then does some formating in excel...

Code:
Private Sub save_as_excel_spreadsheet(path)

If Dir(path) <> "" Then
Kill path
End If

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel97, _
    "Alcohol_Licence_Holder_Report_Table", path, True

Dim xlapp As Excel.Application
Set xlapp = New Excel.Application
xlapp.Workbooks.Open path

With xlapp

.Cells.Select
.Selection.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Rows("1:1").Select
.Selection.Font.Bold = True
.Cells.Select
.Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit
.Selection.WrapText = True

.Columns("B:B").Select
.Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
.Rows("1:1").EntireRow.AutoFit

.Columns("G:G").Select
.Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
.Selection.ColumnWidth = 5.29

.Cells.Select
.Selection.Sort Key1:=.Range("A2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=True, _
        OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

.ActiveWorkbook.Save

.Quit
end with

set xlapp = nothing

you could use something like:

Code:
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel97, _
    "Your export table", yourpath, True

Dim xlapp As Excel.Application
Set xlapp = New Excel.Application
xlapp.Workbooks.Open yourpath

xlapp.Cells.Replace What:=vbCr, Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

xlapp.ActiveWorkbook.Save

xlapp.Quit

set xlapp = nothing

hope this helps

SteveO

Hi,

Blair said:
If I do it in a script, it will happen in the background without the user knowing. If I do it in VBA, the user has to engage and actively run the code.
This is an incorrect assumption. VBA can run both without the user's initiation and knowledge. VBA code can be event driven.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When transmitting sheet music...
If it ain't baroque, don't fax it! [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back