Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to handle atl with new mlx card

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwilliamstele

Vendor
Feb 5, 2008
US
Okay here's the scenario

The customer has a legend processor with (2) 408 atl modules
in the first two slots. The third slot is empty the fourt slot has the merlin mesaging card in it.

He recently purchased a MLX 20l and the 008MLX card.
Here is my issue. The primary reason he got the 20l was to get caller ID, and to be able to program without spm.

My question is two fold:
Can you program from any station besides the first port?Specifically a port from the third slot, since the first two already contain all his 22 button bis phones. Second if I have to move them down one slot and put the 008 in the first slot, is there away to renumber the entire board to keep the original extension even though it is adifferent slot.
Thanks in advance

Robert

Ok I went on the avaya website. And it says the first 5 ports on the first mlx card in the system. Does that mean it has to be in the first card slot, or any slot is ok, as long as it is in the first five positions?

Thanks again

IT has to go in the first slot for programing
But you have more problems than that,
For Caller ID you need as least a R7.0 and a MLX 408w/clid then you need to reprogram all you stations,because when you put the MLX card in the system will not reboot because of the board mismatch

you need someone who knows what they are doing

It doesn't have to be the first slot, it has to be one of the first five station ports on the first MLX card

Basically the telephone system (as equipped) will not display Caller ID information.

The processor needs to be upgraded to an R7....the system will need some type of card that is Caller ID compatible (408 GS/LS-ID/MLX)....and ATL display sets won't show Caller ID info at all.

The prices of Legend equipment has come way down in recent years, so upgrading hardware wouldn't be terribly expensive. Switching to an R7 processor will give you the option of adding a translation PCMCIA card so you can save your system's configuration.

Here is a sample configuration to consider:

1-R7 processor
1-800GS/LS-ID module
1-016 MLX module (if you want to upgrade all telephones to MLX's)
1-008 MLX (if you want to keep the ATL telephones)
2-existing Legend 408 GS/LS ATL (if you want to keep the ATL telephones)

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

A little bit more on the configuration. You could also add an Avaya Merlin Messaging to the system and the modules I mentioned aren't given in any particular order. [bigsmile]

Thanks guys.

Just to be clear If I put the mlx board in the empty slot. which had a t-1 card in it , I think 100D? Then I turn on the system, will it see the new card. Or do I have to do anything else.

At the minimum, you'll need to do a Board Renumber so the processor knowns what the new card is.

Actually you would power down the system first, insert the new module, power up and then do a board renumber.

Make sure there is no left over programming for the PRI, back up your translations, power down, add the card, power up and do the board renumber.

Thanks guys....almost there

I'm trying to renumber two individual stations. They are moving fronm the atl card to the mlx card.
I realize that two stations can not have the same extension, but everytime I go into to renumber the stations, I get an error beep.

I assume the way to do it would be to delete a extension you don't use. Renumber the first station with that extension. Then renumber the second station to the extension mumber of the first station, then renumber the first extension with the second stations old extension number.

I assume my problem is deleting the old extension. I used numbers I believe are out of the range we have. We have 2 (408) /ATL 1 (6 Port)MLM card/, and 1 008 mlx card.
We have two digit extensions.
So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks again

To swap extension numbers, first renumber extension A to an unused number, renumber extension B to extension A's old number, then renumber extension A to extension B's old number.

In a 2-digit dial plan, there are very few unused extension numbers, but you have a "hole" from 767 to 769 in calling groups.

So, if you wanted to swap Ext. 10 and Ext. 20, renumber Ext. 10 to 767, renumber Ext. 20 to 10, then renumber Ext. 767 to 20.

What you actually have to do is free up the number you want to assign. To do that you have to assign another UNUSED number to that entity. That will free up the number you want. If your switch is using "setup space" then reassign the original number to the port, otherwise just find any unused number as a place holder to accomplish this task.

If you have the manual there is a section covering number changes for stations in one of them.

....JIM....

thanks for all the help..Special shout out to touchtone tommy
for explaining the hole in the extension plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back