Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to get my MSCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

add147

MIS
Feb 10, 2009
US
Hello,
I am new to this site so please bear with me. I have read several of the threads on different forums and it appears that everyone is very helpful to one another. I have a question that I would like to ask and see what kind of a response I receive. I am seriously thinking of getting the MCSE certification. Can someoen please tell me what is the best approach of achieving this goal? What is the best program for the dollar in getting this certification? I am sure there are several self study programs but which ones are the best? Your comments and suggestions will greatly be appreciated!!! Have a great day!!!

I always recommend the following combination;

Use the MSPress study guides, build a test lab and follow the examples in the books.

Use training videos from Trainsignal or CBT Nuggets, both are very good.

Use measureup.com for practice tests so you get to know the types of questions you will get on the exam.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

I agree, I feel like you really need hands on in order to pass the exams. I have also used TestOut in the past as part of my prep/review process, but most of my knowledge and expertise I got through hands-on use of the actual products in a test or production environment. If you actually know how to do it in the real world then you should be able to pass the exams.

MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. I ahve been it the I.T. field for nearly 15 years and I have the experience just not the certification. Children and divorce tends to take up ones time went tring to do better in their career...LOL...I have the abiilty, the hardware, and access to the software to institute a lab environment. I think I will go for it!!!!

I understand. I worked in IT for 10 years before I started working on certifications, and only then because my employer started requiring it in order to get promotions and pay raises. On the bright side, since I already had the experience I was able to knock out the tests pretty quickly. I went from no certs to all of the certs listed in my sig except for the MCTS in about 6 months.

The price seems good. I've never used their material before, so I can't speak to the quality. I will say that getting three variations of the MCSE seems like overkill.

You can get most of the study materials for free on-line, each test is 125$ though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back