Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to document patching

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmadhava

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2003
US
What is the best way to document patching details in a wiring closet ? Is it a normal practice to put number tags to bothe ends of RJ45 CAT5e patch cords when used for patching ? Can any one share templates of good practices in documenting a cable infrastructure

The current standard for administration is TIA/EIA 606-A

It provides pretty detailed guidelines for proper documentation and labeling.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

606A seems to be very complicated. Is there any practical, simple way to document ? Are there any templates available to share ?

Well, if 606A is too complicated for you, I suggest you ask your client what they want, unless they specified standard compliance, then I suggest reading the standard and trying a little harder to understand it.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

You have asked 2 questions.

To start with infrastructure cabling to meet compliance standards does have to be properly labeled.

Your patch cords do not require labeling, but you can put labels on them if you wish to make it easier to figure out whats what.

Agreed with Richard. 606A, while not presented the best (it took me a couple reads to get the gist of what they were saying) is a very simple and straight forward standard. Although, it left me hanging a little bit when it comes to OSP cabling, particularly in regards to branch splices (fiber or copper).

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

since I am often the one called back to either troubleshoot or aid in troubleshooting I like to mark both ends of the patch cord.
I print the numbers with my brother labler then wrap with clear tape since the brother adhesive dosnt seem to hold well.

We rarely mark the patch cords in a data closet. If we do we mark them, it is only on the patch rack end so that the cable stays with the link it was originally tested on. I suppose you could mark the other end as well with the same designation, but it seems relatively easy to just tug and trace in most installations.

Many of my customers have a spreadsheet that they say they keep updated showing each switch connection, patch panel port, workstation location, user, IP address, etc. Makes it a bit easier if Sally Smith calls and says she is having trouble. A quick look on the spreadsheet and you can find her patch panel port and switch port.

It does depend on the size and type of operation. If they are making moves and changes often, and labeling will change, I find that often the customer won't keep up with that. Only thing worse than no label....is the wrong label.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

What is used for a large campus environment like mine may not be needed for another system. We document everything, from maintenance holes to switches to work area outlets. Every move, add or change is documented. Most of our distribution is made via cross-connect wire, but where 8p8c patch panels are used to distribute service, we put a circuit ID on each end of the cord. (this is in addition to the printed label on the patch panel) This ID is in our database and we can track everything from the user's name to the port it's plugged into. It has the same type of info that your phone number might have. We use the same methods of adminstration for for voice, video, fire alarm, building automation, etc. This level of administration may be too costly and require too much staff for most end users. Why label the patch cords? Preference mostly. With patch cords, it's too easy for the untrained to unplug and plug. And than you've got undocumented connections.

One could simply label "to" and "from", or jack # and port #.

Administration is essential. And of course, records are of little or no value if they aren't maintained.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back