Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to document Group Policies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITJam

MIS
Nov 25, 2002
US
How is everyone "documenting" what each GP is meant to do? I havn't created too many but it can (and will) get out of control!

My brain is a steel trap.

If it's too much, create an excel document and document it just like you would for anything else.

In group policy manager there is a "settings" tab which makes a report of what is set in that specific policy.
It's as simple as reading down the list, they're all pretty straightforward.

I tend to create a differnt GPO for each purpose. For instance, I have one to deploy Office 2003, and one to configure it. One is called App: Office 2003, and one is called App config: Office 2003. Disable the parts that don't apply (either the computer or user part) when possible.

This is a simplistic example, of course. But it allows me to look through the list and see exactly what each is for.

In larger environments, I tend to do as CaptainCrunch00 does. I love the "settings" tab!

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I try to define mine in the title too, but the settings tab is much more descriptive .....Thanks guys,!

I use the Ala Carte method. Create a policy for a specific task and name it to match. I take it a step further though and will create my own administrative templates. It is considerably easier to follow what a GPO is doing when it only has 3-4 settings in it to begin with. Take a look at my FAQ on the subject.

faq329-6116

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back