Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to do two different lookups against same reference table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjones

Programmer
Jul 27, 2001
US
I'm having memory issues when trying to do some "divide and conquer" lookups.

I have a reference table - call it Person. Each record contains a unique ID, LastName, FirstName, BirthDate, Gender.

I have a second table - call it Respondent. Each record also has an ID, LastName, FirstName, BirthDate, Gender. The kicker here is that any of the fields in this table can be NULL - including ID.

I have a single data flow, in which I've split my Respondent data into records that have ID's and records that don't.

I want to match the records that have ID's on ID, LastName, FirstName. These, historically, provide most of my successful matches.

The one's that don't have ID's, I want to match on LastName, FirstName, BirthDate.

My Person table is quite large. Separate copies for each lookup are too much for my available memory. I thought of using a cache connection manager, but, according to Microsoft documentation, I have to use all the index fields I define in a cache connection manager. And I have different index fields for each of my lookups. Which I take to mean that I'd need two cache connection managers. Which I don't think will buy me anything.

I'm relatively new to SSIS, so, I'm hoping for some suggestions on structuring my tasks with a minimal amount of storing intermediate results in files or back in my data base.

Thanks.

Utilize 2 lookups the first you will want to use full cache and the second use partial cache. The partial cache will actually query the table for the record needed and then cache the record when found so additional references to this record need not be queried.

I'll try that. Thanks.

If I have some fuzzy lookups down the line, do I continue to use partial cache with these?

without knowing the details all I can say is depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back