Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to build database for online store

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven54

Programmer
Jul 4, 2009
US
I am developing an online store and am experienced in VB6, C#, C++, HTML, Access VBA and a little SQL.

My question is which language is the best choice to use for a database, connecting to the database and shopping cart. I am sure there are other things I either am not aware of to ask about as this is my first time creating a website using a database for sales.

In the past I used a VB6 along with a local Access db and Paypal to track sales. However, this approach will not work with my new venture.

I also have Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2007. It is new to me so I have the development suite learning curve to get past if this is the software I choose to build the website with.

I am looking for the easiest and best way. I think that speaks for a lot of us here :)

'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.'

Is it a stand alone online store?
Would the stock list be purely web based or uploaded from a local database?

I would always opt for a dynamic site which can be easily expanded but it would depend on the nature of your web shop.

My choice would be PERL controlling a MySQL database but the 'best software' would depend on what you are familiar with or are prepared to learn.

Keith

audiopro said:
Is it a stand alone online store?
Would the stock list be purely web based or uploaded from a local database?

I would always opt for a dynamic site which can be easily expanded but it would depend on the nature of your web shop.

My choice would be PERL controlling a MySQL database but the 'best software' would depend on what you are familiar with or are prepared to learn.

Agreed, though my choice would be PHP controlling MYSQL.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

The store is selling metal art cut from a plasma cam. Basically silhouettefs of animals, people, scenery, etc. I want to have an image of each item where, when clicked, a purchase begins.

I do not understand the meaning of this:

"Would the stock list be purely web based or uploaded from a local database?"

The site will be dynamic as change (adding/removing items) is a part of it.

Developing the visible web page is not an issue to create. Database functionality is. I am looking for what languages would be best to create the database functionality.

Thank you.

If pro is the opposite of con, then is progress the opposite of congress?

I'd also tend toward PHP/MySQL, but I'd first consider deploying something like ZenCart or OsCommerce. Most of the work might already have been done for you.

Anything that can interact between a database and a webpage is fine. We can spend eternity debating over why PERL would be better suited for the job over PHP, or why ASP should never be touched etc...

It basically comes down to what you have access to. And what you feel comfortable with.

Again I suggest PHP because its the language I know and use. audiopro suggests PERL because that's what he's familiar with.

There's really no better or worst in this area. They are just different.

So Basically look at where you are going to deploy the cart and see what server side language is available in the host. That should give you some idea of what you can use.

Designing the database should be straight forward.
you could use already made shopping carts like oscommerce. I believe the majority of them are made in PHP and some in Coldfusion.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thank you for the replies. My ISP, Hostmonster, has a huge selection of supported languages to choose from.

For starters I am going to start by looking at shopping carts. Oscommerce is a good place to start. And creating a db to test small sales and then build on that.

One last question...

Do you build the site using a vertual domain then push chunks of code as they become functional or do you create the entire thing online?

If pro is the opposite of con, then is progress the opposite of congress?

Would the stock list be purely web based or uploaded from a local database
A couple of my clients have web shops which are extensions of their high street based retail shops. They already have the stock management systems in place at their retail sites so their website stock database is admimistered there, uploaded in the form of a file and then transferred to a server side database.

If you do not have a retail arm to the business, you do not need the transfer part of the system.

Do you build the site using a vertual domain then push chunks of code as they become functional or do you create the entire thing online?
It is faster if you have a local server with the required languages installed but creating the files locally and FTPing to the server is an acceptable way of working.
The decision to use an existing cart or roll your own is purely personal but if you go fot the cart option, make sure you can get the site to look the way you want it to. Some pre built carts have very limited layout options and are difficult to customise.

Good luck.

Keith

I build locally and once everything runs as expected, then you can move it online. check that everything works once its online and then and only then make it available to the public.

And that could just mean activate a link in your main page.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back