Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to break DW into tabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadald

Programmer
Nov 6, 2008
BR
I have a table with 100+ columns, and need to make a window with lots of tabs to update that table.

Which is the best way to do that?
I do not want to make ten DWs with the same SQL and use shareData because will be horrible to customize it after(add/remove columns).

Is there a way to use the same sql like an ancestor and Ihenrit it to use with differents datawindows so the share will never fail?

Accepting any ideas.

Not to come off as harsh, but bad table design invites more work down the road...

To my knowledge, there is no inherit for datawindows. However, you can create a "master", and "inherit" everything from that with a "File:Save As"... This should give you multiple datawindows, which can edit different parts of the data. Do not change the datasets on any of them.

Then, in the tab control's script, in the SelectionChanged event, AcceptText() the datawindow on the tab you're leaving, and do a row's copy to the datawindow on the tab you're entering. This should keep the data fresh when switching tabs.

Keep in mind, I spent 3.2 seconds on this spitball idea...

> Is there a way to use the same sql like an ancestor and Ihenrit it to use with differents datawindows so the share will never fail?

IF You want to share SQL between different Datawindows try to use QUERY.
Query is "SQL syntax part of DW". Try to prepare your sql select, then save it as query and use this query as datawindow's datasource.

Tomek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back