Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to Back-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooglin

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2003
US
Honest question here, what is the easiest, fastest, most cost-effective way to back-up your system?

After a recent crash, I found out that the recent backup that I'd performed (using MS's built in backup program) of my 'personal files and settings' only included the files in the MyDocuments folder, not program settings, not the outlook PST file.... arrrrgggg to say the least.

After a complete reinstall now, I want to know what works best with the set-up I currently have.
Toshiba Laptop
External HD (USB or network connected) ((XIMETA))
CD/RW drive

Preferably (for speeds sake) I'd love to be able to perform a full backup/mirror to the external HD, but because it is treated as an external HD I've got problems, right (not recognized as a valid backup device by most programs)

Back up to CDR is possible, just a pain in the butt to do on a regular basis, and can get a bit expensive in the long run.

What are the best options out there? Opinions?

I've found the the easiest way to go is to install Drive Image and have it backup your whole hard drive partition onto a bootable CD set. I've done this many a time for my customers. I sell PCs and servers and I always include a backup of their computers either on a secondary partition, or on a CD set. It will give you a restore CD set that you can use at will.

Hmmmm.... 2ndary partition....

I'll check it out... keep the opinions coming.

In fact, Fujitsu laptops actually come with DriveImage LE, and the restore is on a secondary partition just like how I described. =) It's an excellent solution. But CDs are better just in case your hard drive goes out.

Can driveimage be used on a regular basis - backing up to the 2nd partition weekly?

Yup. :) You just tell it to do it and it will reboot the computer and go into DOS mode and the program runs and it will make the backup as often as you like.

I use SecondCopy to backup to a non raid drive, then to CD. SecondCopy does a nice job of scheduling various backups, maintaining old versions, etc.

I have a second disk with linux as os.

with mount and
find /mnt/C -print | cpio -pdumv /Sicherung

I get a full Backup.

Don't use a second partion -> when your disk is damaged, both partions can be lost.

If you use ntfs, you can't write directly back for restore.
Better use fat32.

Managed something different. Takes around 45 minutes, but still faster than to CD.

Ghost to the external HD, direct USB.

Takes so long, as my laptop only has USB1.1, the pcmcia does not work from the dos boot.

A bit of a pain, but it works and that's what's important, right?

I have found that if you get a usb 2 control card and install the correct drivers you can backup to an external hard drive and restore to system partion with no hitches.
You can use Ghost 3000. Worked for Me !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back