Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Way to Back up 50gb of data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyfrankszzz

Technical User
Sep 26, 2003
GB
I'm going to be going away for a few months and in the meantime, I'm going to sell my current computer. When I return, I will purchase a new computer.

I have about 50gb of files that I want to keep and save to transfer over to a new computer for when I return.

What would be the quickest/best/cheapest way to transfer the files over? As I see it, my options are:

DVDRW option - I have a DVDRW and so I can write the files to disks although it would take about 10 disks at 4.7gb or 5 dual layer ones. What about data storage security though???

New HDD - purchase an external hdd and just transfer the files over - probably the best way.

Online storage???

If you're comfortable with getting into the guts of a computer, then the fastest and cheapest method is to install the HD from the old system as Master on the IDE 2 channel in the new system, and then just use Windows Explorer to transfer all of the data from the old HD to the new one.
(Note that you will only be able to transfer data, and not applications, using this method. All applications will have to be reinstalled.)

If you do not want to reinstall the applications, or cannot do so because you no longer have the installation CD's, then a product like Aloha Bob's Ultimate Relocator will transfer applications and data from one computer to another. But the 2 systems have to be networked, and even when using the fastest connection cable it's going to take from 13-17 hours to transfer 50 GB.

Cheapest - Burn contents to DVD

Quickest - Remove hard drive completely from computer. Install new blank hard drive before selling. When you get your new computer, install your old hard drive and move your data over.

Best - Why not both? Back up to DVD, then remove the hard drive. Store them in different places. Putting a new drive in your system before you sell it will assure you that whoever buys your system doesn't get your data, too.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

Much agreed, the keeping the old drive option is a very good one. I like that idea.

However, might there be any issues in regard to changing the original HDD. Would I need to ensure the replacement HDD is the same capacity as the original one?

What about just selling the computer without any HDD? Obviously I'd get less for it but it's less hassle for me.

The replacement HD does not have to be the same size. It can be smaller and slower(5400 vs. 7200 rpm) if you want to save a few $.
However, you may want to partition and format it, and install an O/S before you sell it.
Or like you say, you can sell it without a HD.

I've decided to remove and keep the old HDD. When I purchase a new computer, I'll buy an enclosure with a USB connector so that I can transfer the data over to the new HDD.

In the meantime, when I want to sell the old computer, I'll need to put in a new internal HDD, and then install the OS and all the software. I've currently got Windows XP Home and MS Office Small Business on the old hdd. Once I've put in the new internal hdd, how straightforward will it be to install the OS and the software?

After setting the HD's jumper to Master and installing it, make sure it's recognized in BIOS.

Next, follow the steps here to install Windows XP:

WRT installing software, this may be unnecessary if you're selling the system on the open market. All the customer really needs is an installed O/S.

Buy and keep the NEW HDD for yourself!! seems a bit silly selling your old machine will a new HDD, you might as well have the benefit.
Piggy back the new drive, partition 50/50 make sure both are formatted then transfer all your information onto the second of the two partitions so that if you install the drive into your new machine as a single drive you can install Windows on the first partition without effecting saved data.
Buying a 3.5inch HDD enclosure would be the other option but either way keep the new drive.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back