Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best VOIP option to connect office to home phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

fojin

Technical User
Aug 3, 2004
US
Hi - We use an Avaya Partner system at work and currently there are no plans to change that.

What we want to do is allow one employee who will be working from home to have calls transferred if the phone at his desk is not answered.

We started with the Patton SmartNode and have been having connection problems with it and I am wondering if there are any other reliable and simple devices that can do the same thing.

To clarify, we will assign one extension on the Partner system to be plugged into the back of the VOIP device. If a call to the employee's office phone (ext. 10) is not answered, the call will be covered by Extension 20. Ext 20 is connected to the VOIP device in the office and it then connects to the device on the other side, at home, which will make the home phone ring and can connect the call.

The setup has been completed with the SmartNode and it works, but only sporadically.

Any help in finding a better set up would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

If the Partner is R6 or above you may also concider Remote Call Forward. Takes the VoIP out of the loop and uses two analog trunks.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

It's not really an Avaya question because I'm just trying to transfer any phone line over the internet if a call isn't answered.

The only reason the Partner System was mentioned is that I can't simply forward any line coming in from the outside -- it has to be a particular extension. In this case, Ext 20. I've already set up that part -- having Ext. 20 cover Ext. 10.

Now I want to know if there are any better methods of bridging the call to the home from the office rather than the SmartNode

Any help greatly appreciated!

What release is it, as budbyrd said you can use remote call forward to send the call to a cell or the home phone number. Program the numbrinto the users ext speed dial slot 80 the program a button for feature 11 10(extension number) 80 (Speed dial number) this forward the extension only to the number in the speed dial slot. Just remember that this will use 2 co lines to complete.
Mike

If I get this right you have an analog extension, convert it to VoIP and then back again?

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Unfortunately, it's R5. If only it were that easy! Any thoughts on best way to achieve this?

Multitech has equipment to do that with an analog extension. Look at the MultiVOIP equipment.
Mike

There are many VoIP gateways out there but if you have connection issues I would suggest you troubleshoot (and start a thread) the connection before blaming the current device.
Most remote issues are with the remote users Internet connection because it not a high end quality business type one but possibly something like DSL Lite that cant handle VoIP very well.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Gonna need equipment to convert it properly and most likely a technician if you have never done it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back