Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best use of Sniffer Pro 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkeeper

MIS
Jul 19, 2000
US
Hello community,
Well, my boss has decided not to purchase Sniffer Distrubted. I want to know how can I best use the product?

Do I need a server to use DSS\ROM. I think I will change my handle to "NWFF" Network fire fighter.

jkeeper

SnifferPro has all the functionality of Distrubuted Sniffer minus the ability to collect Rmon data for baselining and built in reporting. SnifferPro along with Reporter (which is an add on for SnifferPro) will allow you to do short term rmon like reports. The biggest difference in the two products is that SnifferPro is a reactive tool while Distributed Sniffer is a more proactive tool. Both are very powerful products and can help you on your network.

LanGuru

Thank you for your response. Good information. What else do I need beside a patch cable, small hub, fast laptop with lots of memory, sniffer 4.5 to sniff a thick switch network (6509)??

-Thank you

The laptop requirements for snifferpro are very minimal. A 233 Mhz w/128 RAM and 80 MB disk space and an NAI pcmcia NIC would suffice. Does you boss realize that a 1 port distributed ethernet sniffer comes with reporter (free add on) and is generaly less expensive than snifferpro? Oh well.

Good luck.

John R Savage
Sniffer SE
Dallas TX

Well, to answer your question, my boss does not listen well.
Second, his mindset came from a sniffer presentation "sniff the edge not the core. He does not believe that there is a switch that can aid in sniffing the 6509.

The Sniffer sales people never visited and pitched their product (sad) but true. Upper management was ready to but more sniffer products.

j,

If you have Sniffer Pro, you can use it as a Dsitributed Sniffer. To do this all you need is a PC remote control software package like PC Anywhere, Remote Desktop 32, or Timbuktu. Just install the software on your Sniffer Pro machine and put it where you want to use it. Connect to it from your desktop machine without the hassle of purchasing a DSPro Agent box.

Op.

j,

If you have Sniffer Pro, you can use it as a Distributed Sniffer. To do this all you need is a PC remote control software package like PC Anywhere, Remote Desktop 32, or Timbuktu. Just install the software on your Sniffer Pro machine and put it where you want to use it. Connect to it from your desktop machine without the hassle of purchasing a DSPro Agent box.

Op.

Many thanks to Operator1975,Dchon, R Savage, Forunat. Thanks to all of you. Now a special thanks to Operator1975,Dchon.

This is the first time I have heard your advice. What am I trying to do, Sniff a switch network
besides spanning/mirroring the switch.

I am very new to this
and some of my questions may sound stupid, (sorry about that)if you don't know, I think that is how you learn.

Anyone in this forum in the Austin, Texas area?

-James

Hello, this is my first time in this website. How does this work. Are questions only technical or are they about how or what people think about the advantages and disadvantages of working for any particular tech company?

learningcurve

We tend to technical questions.. we talk about companies in broad terms.. specifics get ugly and can cause unwanted attention from the various legal beagles.

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

what is the best PCMCIA card to use for sniffing ?
and what cards support ext. antennas?

Hi!
(First time visitor)
My boss just asked about Fibre sniffing on either Fibre LAN or Fibre SANs. Is there any product that does both? Does Sniffer have this capability? If so, what version of the software would we have to buy and how is it basically used? We are in a test invironment and want to check/document packet transfer speeds and/or bottlenecks.
Thanks,
FibreMan

Here is a question I am sure gets asked regularly. What is the most up to date Sniffer Book to learn how to sniff a network?

webglue

Best PCMCIA NIC?
EN= Xircom CBE2-100BTX Cardbus NIC
TR= Madge Smart Ringnode Cardbus NIC

Fibre:
Sniffer Optical
PoS= Snifferbook Ultra
DWDM Sniffer Pro
Sniffer Pro LAN
Xyratex Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adapter
Full Duplex Pod (you'd have to span to a monitor port on a switch)
ATMBook from Sniffer Pro High Speed

I think that is all of them - anyone?

-Andy

I tried to use the Packet Generator to generate packets to
a unix host by a cross-cable connection. when the packet generator was started, i don't get any increase in packets at unix side with "netstat -I ee0" command. If I use the ping function in sniffer pro, i notice for every ping i tried, there is any increase in "packets receive" at the unix side. This does not happen with the "packet generator" function. I tried size of 60, 1512, 1500 but all didn't work.
Can anyone help urgently?

Check that Sniffer is not in loopback mode. Also do a capture while generating traffic to verify that you are actually doing so.

JR Savage
Sniffer SE
Dallas TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back