Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Tool To Build A Cube?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatherk

MIS
Aug 17, 2000
US
My company is evaluating PowerPlay and we are trying to find the best tool to build the cube. We are using PeopleSoft and I am running queries to Excel in order to evaluate the the product using our data. I am sure you all know that Excel has a limitation on number of lines, which is a problem (we do not plan to use this beyond evaluation). What products do you use for building cubes? We have PS Cube Manager but it will take some modification to get it to work. I read that you can do it with Impromptu. Will this work with PeopleSoft data? Any insight into this matter would be extremely helpful!
Thanks in Advance,
Heather

Using Impromptu you can create catalog only. you cannot create cube. what is PS cube

If your Peoplesoft data is in any database that can be read with ODBC, you can use Impromptu. I would even go so far as to recommend using Impromptu as the data pump into Transformer. It makes a lot of things easier. If you can't and still want to use Excel you can easily use multiple spreadsheets into a single a model thereby circumventing the row limitation.
TR

We use COGNOS Transformer to model and build cubes.
The data source(s) for Transformer are .iqd files
created by Cognos Impromptu.

Within Impromptu Administrator, a report is created
using one or more Oracle tables. SQL is used
within Impromptu to filter, join and select from
relational tables. The results of the report can be
viewed/printed and then when your ready, they can
be saved as an .iqd file.

Transformer then uses the .iqd files as a data source
for building the cubes.

Heather,

Powerplay Transformer allows you to pull from several different datasources at the same time or just one. These datasources do not have to be Impromptu .iqd files. That is just one option. We pull from an access database, excel worksheets and Oracle for some of our cubes.

how do i build levels and categories using a Transformer???

PowerPlay is the best tool. Use Impromptu to save as iqd, then transformer to create the cube.

We get the information for Transformer using cem files that are packages that we made with cognos Architect.

To build levels and categories, go into Transformer and then choose what you want for each dimension, then inside the dimensions u can choose the levels that are required...

if u can affort try to get a sample package of informatica data ware house and conver ur peoplesoft data into datamart and then using dicisonstream deliver the data to powerplay

that is a round about way but its worth in a long run

regards
mkram

mkr1975@hotmail.com He who Conquires the MIND
Conquires the WORLD !!

mkram@usa.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back