Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best tool for creating GUI interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

vangundy

Programmer
Jan 29, 2005
CA
Hi I am new to java and would like to know what tool is the most common and best used for creating java gui (s)

Hi,
I am a new programmer in Java too. I started out creating GUI's the old fashion way through code alone. I have also used the free version of JBuilder 2005. I think that it was called Foundation. I did not like it because I had trouble creating frames that would center properly. I would put objects on the frame and then center the objects on the frame. When I would run the form it would cut part of the objects off with the frame border.

I am now working with the free version of NetBeans 4.1 and I seem to find it okay for my tastes so far. It takes a little time to get use to it but I think that I am going to like it.

Hope this helps.
Noble

---------------------------------------
Noble D. Bell

In the future, please use forum269 for standard Java questions - this forum is dedicated to J2EE questions only.

A lot of people like Eclipse - its very good IMO.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

I use JBuilderX Enterprise (at work), JBuilderX Foundation and Eclipse 3.0.2. All excellent (IMO). I've always found the GUI creation tool in JBuilder to be pretty solid. Sure, it has it's temperamental moments, but I've done some very complex panels with it and it's 'done the biz'.

Tim
---------------------------
"Your morbid fear of losing,
destroys the lives you're using." - Ozzy

Warning : standard Eclipse download doesn't contain a GUI builder. You'll have to install "Visual Editor" plugin that makes a prolific but very clean code. This plugin can build GUIs using AWT, Swing or SWT graphical frameworks.

Water is not bad as long as it remains outside human body ;-)

Visual Editor is not the only one out there either. I have Jigloo and Designer, I only use them these days for creating the initial projects and importing a bunch of libraries then I switch back over to myEclipse, but I'm still trying to learn the SWT and JFace packages which accounts for the long way of doing things.

Do any of the above programs work like VB does? I watch the guy next to me use VB and he just drags and drops a few things together, adds some code and is done. I've always told myself I'll never learn VB (even .NET) but it's the best comparison I could come up with for faster GUI creation rather than typing everything out.

The best way to create GUIs is by hand using a text editor.
That way you also avoid the problems Noble faced of having your GUI do something you don't understand and instead of blaming yourself for not understanding what's going on blaming the tool you used to create that GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back