Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best telephone systems? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmwjk

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
US
What are the best telephone systems to install in offices or smaller businesses? I've been reading online and I have seen there is a huge amount of variation out there (or it appears there is), what are some of the easiest systems to administer and keep up, most reliable, ect?

Thanks for your help!,
John

Are you looking to purchase one for your business, or to become a vendor? You are going to get a bunch of different answers. It’s like asking what the best ice cream is.
You can search this site and find such threads as:

thread461-714089 or,
thread461-304793

My vote: Nortel

Norstar for reliability, features, and ease of programming.

I currently sell small used systems (90% merlin legend, 10% merlin class (we've just phasing out the merlin classic sales)), but were looking to expand our business into selling new telephone systems as well. Are Nortel systems pretty easy to setup and program?

It's like anything else: Once you have done a hundred of them they are easy. If you have worked with merlin, perhaps you should consider the Partner systems. If there is one thing the world does not need, its another guy selling Nortel.

Actually, in general, I am not a fan of key systems, they make me feel restricted as to what I can program. But if you must have a key system, I would say Legend/Magix. Otherwise, if you can, cough up the cash for a Definity. The Avaya Definity is by far my favorite system.

By a used Definity Prologix by Avaya. (don't buy a Definity ONe or IP600).The are very reliable and u can do the programing from your desk on your computer. There are lots of used phones and equipment out there and 24 hour support. Just put in "Definity" in ebay and see all the equipment online. (Disclosure ::I don't work for ebay or Avaya, although I have lots of Avaya stock.)

David

P.S. And a message to all posters,if you want to get the best response to a question, please read FAQ222-2244 first. Please also give the type and version of your system and preview your post to clear up and correct English mistakes. In addition, if I ask a question in a reply to a post, and that question is not answered, then I usually w

Try looking into the Inter-Tel systems. They are a little younger then a Nortel company but they are moving up the food chain pretty fast in the Memphis area. The company is out of the West AZ and I guess if takes time to move into Tier three cities like Memphis.

THE PHONE SYSTEM IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE INSTALLER AND TECHNICIAN THAT WILL BE INSTALLING IT.......

ALSO THE INSTALLING COMPANY....

end of topic....
bye..bye...

mitch

I'll say here the same thing I tell every customer who is wondering what system to purchase. find some businesses in your area that have different phone systems and find out how reliable they are. Is the tech known on a first name basis and does he have a coffee mug in the break room? Some systems are repeatedly being seen by techs, this is fine under the warantee period but when the warantee evaporates you will be paying out of pocket. for a vendor the warantee period could eat your profits up on systems that require a lot of tech babysitting.

do your homework on these systems with the actual customers and not the shills that the salespeople will give you for references.

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Avaya Partner, easy to program, user freindly, and reliable. I've installed these for years and cheated myself out of service calls. Many happy customers.

it's hard to ignore Call manager express for small office solutions.. Software around $700 and sure makes adds moves and changes alot simpler.

If you have a decent network guy.. Give VOIP a good look

ESI is a great small ssytem, dumb simple to insatll and maintain, great warranty, great price for the features. They suffer a little from a lack of name-recognition, but that is rapidly changing.

What are looking to spend. If you have $$$$ look at Nortel, Avaya, ESI. System depends on YOUR requirements for a system, not what everybody wants to sell you. Look at all with features that help you.

I agree with Groundstart. A lot actually depends on the installers knowledge of the equipment he is installing..

The easiest phone system is not a system. If u don't need all the bells and whistles, just buy phones off the shelf that have four call appearances on them from officemax, online or where ever. Then u only need very simple wiring to be done.
U will be limited on the incoming lines possible and almost no features, but if the office is temporary or possibility of moving or expanding hugley, then u can replace the cheap bought phones with a real phone system later.

Yes I've put in a few that people have bought over the internet, they do go in easy and program pretty easy. Haven't had any callbacks on them so your guess is as good as mine on how they like them.

A trusted source for years.

I have also installed a few that were purchased by end-users over the internet. They seem to work OK until you add another cabinet. Then they started having some problems. I have replaced 3 with Nortels. This usually happens about 4-5 months after they add the second cabinet. I did not go into depth with the users as to what the problems or limitations were…they just said they knew they needed it replaced. I know one of the problems was the inability to have over 4-6 line appearances at one phone. Another limitation I know of is that each phone needs a power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back