Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best source to learn networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

calitoday

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2006
US
Hi,
At work I have Enterasys switches and Cisco routers. I like to learn network to manage these devices. Where or what is the best and cheap source of info (books, trainings...) that I can get to learn?

Thanks

99.999% of people on this board or on the Cisco Certification board hold the Cisco Academy in high regard. It is a phenominal place to learn and there's usually one in most areas:

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

netacad is not cheap however. I did it many moons ago. (2000ish) If you just want to get started buy a CCNA guide. The cisco press books by wendell odom are pretty good starters. You can get them both < 50$. I'd buy some test/lab equipment and get really familiar with it. Just my opinion though :)

cisconooblet,

You said -
"netacad is not cheap however. I did it many moons ago."

That all depends on where you take the classes, they are taught in high schools, adult training centers and colleges.

We teach the classes at a community college and the Cisco Academy classes run about $210 for an 8 week class that meets 2x a week. There are 4 classes so that is less than $900 for 32 weeks of training with hands-on with Cisco routers and switches.

Of course not all Cisco Academies are the same, so you might want to check them out, as well as who the instructor is and what equipment that school has, but all in all, the Cisco Network Academy program is one of the best training programs out there, when it is done right - as Cisco expects!!!!

Just a thought!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

If you are starting at ground zero with little knowledge of the fundamentals behind networking I would highly recommend starting with the CompTIA Network+ certification.
If you are still fired up about learning networking after that then move up the Cisco certification track by starting on the CCNA.

In addition there are Cisco Press video mentors and CBT nuggets apart from the study guides. (Sybex, I found, are bit more easier to read then Cisco Press books.)

Keep in mind that the certifications will help you stay grounded while working on the network but nothing beats experience by getting your hands on the real equipment.

ciscoguy, I agree and hold the netacad in high regard. That's about what I paid for it. Its just a difference in what you and I consider cheap. 900 > 50. Now that said 900 for what you get is a good value. I'm just saying that if you wanted to stay cheap (real cheap) you can buy the books to read (basically the same material as the online acad) and get the equipment for far less than the 900 (sell it back after wards). Does that come with an instructor? No. Is it better for a newbie....doubt it...but it is cheap and it will get the job done. Just saying he has a choice of real cheap (less instruction) or more money and an instructor.

Netacad = Better

Books = Cheaper

cisconooblet,

Sorry, I read your "(2000ish)" as $2,000 as in what you paid and not that you went to the NetAcad in 2000 :)

I know places that charge $1,800 to $2,500 for a CCNA class, it pays to shop around!!! Just wanted people reading not to forget about community colleges, can be a great deal for many different classes.

I also agree with you that some would be better off to take the $900 and buy routers, switches, CBT's and books and then sell it off when they are done.

And, for some having an instructor would be better - each person needs to understand what kind of "learner" they are!!

But, I would want to check ANY school out first, what equipment do they have, what access do you have to it, who is the instructor, what is the instructors background etc.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

honestly the best way to learn shit is google. and to take classes. google can tell you how to do it but your not gonna fully understand it until you do it yourself. i just got done with a networking course and the hands on training really helped.

"Most people spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" -President Ronald Reagan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back