Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best printing solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yozzer

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
GB
I'm currently working on a project to deploy XPe to about 1,000 users spread across LANs, WANs and RAS connections. I've looked at UniPrint (Pre FR1) & the UPD now available but neither can deal with the more complex devices such as duplex options and multiple trays. (UniPrint also appears to generate huge print jobs).

I've had a preliminary look at ThinPrint and while it appears to satisfy our requirements its complexity is such that I've got reservations about the amount of administration involved.

I'm also reluctant to deploy all of the potential devices to the farm as there are so many (lexmark PCL/PS, HP PCL/PS, bubblejets etc).

Does anyone out there have some experience of dealing with the issues surrounding stability, processing etc in this type of environment? If so, any advice would be welcome.

I posted a link to a great powerpoint presentation on printing that's buried somewhere on Citrix's site.

I've been working with various flavours of MFXP for a while now - but don't use 3rd party printer handlers.

There are no shortcuts with printing - and the bottom line is that less printer drivers work in a Terminal Server environment than on other platforms. My advice is be very cautious with printers, and install only one type at a time - especially local devices. It may be time-consuming to do it this way, but not nearly as time-consuming as sorting out the issues later.

I hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Sounds sensible given what I've seen so far and we do have time on our side at the mo. Thanks for the advice. G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back