Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mando1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
US
Being an IT guy thrown into the world of phone programming, I had a couple of questions for the old hands here. I have got the basics, target lines, voice mail, auto attendant etc.

But some of the finer points I could use some advice on: When to use scheduled ringing service versus hunt groups for one. The best practices for setting prime sets on target lines. How to use hunt groups intelligently etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

Ring groups are used to change where lines ring during certain parts of the day. IE a night service, where instead of ringing to a receptionist, you want the line to ring to an auto attendant. Hunt groups allow you to ring multiple phones at the same time, or in a specified order. Broadcast rings all at the same time. One caveat with the broadcast though, is that only the extensions in the group that aren't on a call will ring. So this isn't a good way to have 2 receptionist phones ring at the same time. Linear always rings the first member first then the second only if the first is busy or doesn't answer. Circular will ring 1 first, then the next call always goes to 2, then 3 etc. Most idle rings the phone that has been waiting the longest. They will ring in the hunt group until the que time is reached, then overflow. Prime sets should be set to the extension you want the phone to ring, if the system can't figure it out. Main lines prime to the receptionist, and DID's prime to their respective extensions.

Thanks for the insight. That is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back