Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best practices for server builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryrae

MIS
Aug 31, 2004
US
Is there any best practices documentation from Dell, HP, etc. for building server from scratch? I have built several servers for my company, but I have always wondered if there is a "right and wrong" way. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ryan A+, Network+, MCP

Software build or hardware build? If possible, i always use hardware raid and have raid 1 for os and raid 5 for data. Any tape drives must be on a seperate controller. I like to have 2 memory chips incase we have troubles so we can eliminate each chip from the problem. redundant power supplies are good if budget permits. dual nics are good for redundancy and performance.

Fire away if you have any specific questions. Appart from that, keep it simple and stick to major brand hardware.

As far as software is concerned, if you intend using windows server operating systems the following is always good practice.

1. Only install the components you need. Dont install IIS if you do not intend using it as a web server for example. You can always go back and add items at a later date.

2. Always install manufacturer supplied drivers for hardware, Microsoft ones are more generic, and you will not always get the full benefit of that piece of hardware you have just spent extra money on.

3. Always install the latest reliable serivce pack and all critical security patches to the OS, before connecting the server to the network. The last thing you want is the one rogue infected workstation taking out your newly installed server.

4. Always make a backup of the server before deploying, either onto DVD/CD using imaging software, or onto tape.

5. Always re-apply the last service pack installed and hotfixes whenever you add or remove a component from windows.

=======================================
You may think if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers think that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet!
======================================

5. Always re-apply the last service pack installed and hotfixes whenever you add or remove a component from windows."

This is not needed anymore. Microsoft's MSI package handles these issues automatically.

Don't forget your hot spare drive, I know you lose one drive's full of storage, but it's worth it, believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back