Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practice for Restoring Corrupt System Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataylor44

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
My problem is that my netware 6 server that is the primary server,bordermanager and authentication.The server had a CPQWEBAG.NLM abend<4> with the system running at 100 percent utilization.Could not down the machine properly so had to hard shut the server.When bringing the server back up the first time it stopped after trying to mount sys and just gave the date and time.After restarting the server again it went thru the Vrepair automatically and then it came up as normal.Have done some Dsrepair to get rid of some errors but have notice that there are about 300 files that claim to be 4 gigs in size on a 20 gig sys volume.I have restored all the non-critical file to the normal size with backup tape and I have about 30 system files that needs to be either restored,reloaded or copied and I'm not sure what will be the best way to do this so the server will still boot when I'm done.I know I could restore them from backup tape and override the ones that are there afterhours but didn't know what I could do with everything up and running.All response is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Could you give some indication as to the path of the corrupted/4GB files and maybe one of their names. If the server is booting currently, you don't have a crisis so I'm wondering what these files are. Perhaps they can just be deleted.

there in the sys\system, sys\system\driver.old, sys\system\nfl directory some are NLM's an Lan,CDM and LDI.With dates from 1993 to 2003.If I knew how to paste in the forum I could show you all the info cause there is a lot more files.Thanks

CEN2100.lan
CPECFG.nlm
DE450.lan
DNSCNRT.nlm
E224N4X.lan
PEDLL.dll
VDQAD.nlm

CPQWEBAG.NLM used to be a problem and I saw it cause lots of abends. I stopped using it as it wasn't really necessary for what I was doing. If you haven't done this already, you need to apply the latest Proliant Support Pack applicable for your server. Also get your server patched. That abend is completely unecessary.

I have seen cases where 4gb existed, but I don't know what caused them. In your case, if they are LAN or NLM files, you can probably just delete them. Since they are corrupt, they aren't helping anyway. Based on your list, none of them look critical - mostly drivers. But if you reapply your NetWare support pack after you delete the bad files, it will put any files back down that are necessary.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I agree completely with Marv. You COULD do a CYA check, by doing a "modules nameofnlm.nlm" for each nlm you think is courrpted to see if any of them are actually in use by the server while it's up. Mostly likely they aren't becaue A) they are corrupt and wouldn't load and B)The server would be giving you some error if it needed them.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate the help.I was called in this morning cause the server had locked up again so I will be deleting and patching the server and the Proliant this weekend and as Goombawaho said the server came back up so I guess it wasn't a crisis like I thought it was and thanks again guys.

Got one more question.I deleted the 4 gig files off the system and was going to do the the support pack that is NW6SP5.That is the latest one for Netware 6.There are SP1,SP2,and SP3 for Netware 6.5.Could I use any of those or should I just stick with the latest one for Netware 6? I do understand that if you tell me to use the ones for 6.5 I will need to patch all 5 or my Netware boxes.I also have the Proliant patch too that I'll do next after the Netware one.Thanks

Actually, Netware 6.5 SP7 is now out, but I would NOT be a guinea pig for that one as it JUST came out, unless Marv has a thumbs up for that.

Stick with NW65SP6 found here.

Now, you also should update other patches that have followed since the time NW65SP6 came out. Look on this page and especially the ones marked MANDATORY. I would also read the RECOMMENDED ones and see if they apply to your situation.

n65gysp4.exe
edir8739.exe
65cifs325a.exe
xnfs6a.zip

Make sure when you extract SP6, you disable antivirus software or do it from a PC that has none. Some a/v have been known to remove Server.exe during extraction. Also make sure you read the README in each file to understand known problems, etc. I would make a backup of each original file(nlm) before you copy the new files over to your system - that is if it's not an automated install, which normally creates its own backups.

I used to do it this way.
orignal.nlm renamed to original1.nlm then copy new file over. This meant to me that this is the first backup of this file. The next time if it gets patched, I would name it original2.nlm

Don't hesitate to ask more questions before patching - especially ones regarding updating edirectory and interactions with your older servers.

Just so we are clear I did say that I'm running Netware 6.0 and not 6.5.You are saying that the support pack NW6SP6 for 6.5 will also work for 6.0.I've looked at the link you sent and didn't see where it works with 6.0.I had already extracted the NW6SP5 and the server.exe was there but if I am to use the newest NW6SP6 I will make sure the antivirus is disabled.Thanks again.

Oh no!!!!!!!!! I made a huge mistake and NO, disregard all I said in the last post. Thankfully, even if you tried to apply that patch, I don't think it would even attempt to install.

Here's some more CORRECT information then.

My other comment about looking at the Post SP5 patches still stand.

Very sorry to have made that mistake.

OK I'll use the NW6SP5e Thanks again for all the info and have a great day guys.I'll reply back with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back