Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Platform for running Egate, Unix or Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbergmeyer

Programmer
Oct 6, 2003
US
Since we started on datagate 3.1, we have been running on hp-ux. We are currently running on egate 4.5.2. We are planning to go to Ican 5.0.4 and SRE 5.0.4 and we are considering using a windows box based on server costs. I have no complaints related to reliablity or peformance on hp-ux boxes. Should I try a windows box or stay with hp-ux.

Your cost saving up front may be lower with Windows but I would bet a lot of money you would regret the decision. Unix is much more reliable and stable. My experience with Windows servers is that if you don't reboot every week your in trouble.

I run a lot of critical interfaces on AIX. We decided on AIX up front even though the initial cost was higher. We all sleep at night and the interfaces are not a concern. It runs for months on end before I reboot.

My philosophy is if there is an alternative to Windows servers, take it. At least until Microsoft shapes up in the world of memory management and security.

Thanks for replying, I had hoped for more responses on this subject.

Are you running in any kind of failover mode in AIX and what release of egate are you running?

Thanks again.

I'm working to implement IBM HACMP with my two new AIX hosts. I've posted another thread entitled "Installing 2 AIX hosts for high availability / redundancy" I'm looking for input on how to get to an active-active failover so I can utilize both boxes all of the time.

Runnin egate 4.5.3. I'm planning to look at 5.0 in the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back