Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best option for moving to a new POS system? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtariBaby

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2010
US
Update: we just had a chat. He really wants to stay on the Micros system, because he and his staff know it so well. So unless there’s a homegrown type system specifically meant to emulate it, I think we’ll stay in Micros but look to upgrade.

What’s the best and latest system for a bar with two POS registers? I can then start looking into new through Micros or perhaps used system from somewhere.

I’m an IT person helping my friend who owns a bar. He can’t afford it right now, but at some point it would be good to upgrade him from his XP systems running Micros. The Micros world is pricey right? I know there are some big names out there. Is there one that guys like best?

I read some threads in here that say things like “save a lot of money and get your own computers with touchscreens.” Is there a freeware or open-source system (or low cost for that matter) that works just as well, something that’s roll-your-own, using some touchscreen PC’s? Between he and I, we could manage that pretty well, I would think, so long as it works great.

Thanks for reading and considering!

Hi!

Not sure what's your request.

Do you need any help with upgrading MICROS to a W7 or W10 version?

Hi f4rid

Sorry, I made a real mess of that post.

Yes! I was doing some searching and reading here, and I thought I had read that the server computer and the POS’s had to be on the same OS. If one or all can be upgraded, yes please! I left the jalopy XP machine at his bar and brought home a clone of the XP disk, along with the intended new server, a recent model intel PC from Lenovo running Windows 10.

Yes please, if you can point me to the procedure or lay out the steps for me, that would be a real life saver.

Drop you email and I'll share you the installation guide, it's pretty simple.

You can also download the installations files straight from the Oracle Website.

I would install RES 5.7 and fix the Autosequence issue using Resource Hacker.

Hi I don’t see an option to private message you but I saw on your profile where you ask us not to leave email or number, so I’ll try to obfuscate a little bit and use a custom email:

techtipsguide at gregx dot co (not .com)

So excited to see the guide! thank you so much!

There you go, here is the manual: RES 3700 5.7 Manual

You need to download the setup and prereqs from Oracle website.

If you need any further help, hit me up via PM

HI again f4rid, for the life of me I don’t see how to PM someone.

Thank you for the guide.I’m wondering about the best order of business regarding the total upgrade path. For example:

Upgrade Micros first, or Upgrade Windows version first? Or does it not matter? It looks like the manual expects Windows 10 and IIS to be installed, so I gather I need to upgrade Windows from XP to 10 first!

Secondly, should I perform this upgrade with a fresh clone instead of this one that’s now a few days old? Or is it easy and reliable enough to export and update the databases from the XP computer and update the upgraded clone that way?

Hey AtariBaby,

First of all, to upgrade, you have to update the 4.9 DB with a script that you find on the installation files, as you can see in the manual, it will throw you a copy of the DB ready to be installed on the RES 5.X version.

Then, you should configure the new fresh windows installation and when the setup prompts if it you want to set a new DB or an existing DB you should point to the DB that you upgraded from the old server.

Everything should go smooth. And your devices should update automatically with no issue.

I can help you out remotely if you want, again, hit me up at fredsk25@hotmail.com

Ah thank you for that clarity. That also means I can presumably get a copy whenever I’m ready.

Sorry for the question, but does this make sense?
1. I upgrade windows on the clone PC at my desk.
2. I go to the original XP machine and run the script, to get the freshest possible copy of the database.
3. I copy that to a flash drive and bring that to my desk use that on the upgraded Windows clone.

Apologies in advance for all the questions.

Yes sir, again, I recommend you to save that hard drive intact, do not delete it until you have the system running and stable just in case you need to roll back.

Hi

Oh yeah for sure. Definitely not doing anything with the original computer on it last legs.

I’m having a tragically hard time with what I thought would be a straightforward step.

Can’t get XP cloned external drive to start up on a new computer or even the original computer. Not sure what to do now.

I have FINALLY made a bootable clone.

Now to upgrade. XP to 7 first or do these updates/upgrades first? I’ll check in with you via email also. Thank you.

Oh i see, i update the database first. Sorry, correct me if that’s wrong!

“I would install RES 5.7 and fix the Autosequence issue using Resource Hacker.”

Can you explain this to me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back