Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best online PHP file manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

archer007

Technical User
Jun 18, 2008
GB
I am looking for a file manager, preferably written in PHP, to run on a server. It could be its own standalone manager or be a part of a larger system, I don't care.

Ideally, it should support permissions (ie. make it so that users can only edit the files that they upload), disk quotas, and have a decent admin menu.

However, I have not yet found any file manager or management system that does all of the above. Do you guys have any recommendations, even if they don't fully meet the criteria?

by file manager, what do you mean?

I understand, by the term, file manager, a tool that enables a user to manipulate the file system: such as move, delete, copy and rename functions; and subject to file system permissions.

there is also the term (that I use) 'document manager'. i use this to refer to functionality with which i can delete (sometimes), copy, rename, publish etc to a class of third parties, documents that i 'own' on an abstracted file system (i.e. there is no exposure to the file system itself - when I write these applications i keep all documents in the same directory with random file names).

these two are very different beasts. the first is very easy to write yourself. would take you an hour or so depending on how pretty the UI might be. there are almost certainly a number of them available by googling php file manager.

the second is much more complex as you have to control upload, user role and permission management etc. you can find a number of these that are open source by googling for DMS or document management system.

for a DMS you should _not_ permit user access to the filesystem.

Funny, I just finish writing one where I allow user to create directories, upload files to any directory, allow for any depth sub-directories, move files between directories.

I combined this with MySQL where user can type descriptive information about files. Since the need was to associate these files with operational needs, being able to describe the nature of the file itself helps, specially if you are looking at the file months after the facts.

A very simple couple of scripts and some CSS and AJAX to get the job done. On the next version of it, I intend to give users the ability to allow/deny access to directories and/or files by flagging them as public or private; even setting passwords.

The restriction idea is good for those whom manage documents with sensitive information.

A document manager or DMS is what I am looking for. I've now found a couple of DMSs online, but I'd love to know if anyone has any recommendations. I'm going to try Main//Pyrus DMS and Open KM to see if they have the functionality that I need.

i've used a couple (hummingbird and e-project) and not been happy with either. i've had loads of presentations from companies trying to flog me their solutions too. never seen anything that ticks the boxes; so ... i've always written my own for each application that was needed.

it's not that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back