Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best NAS fileserver vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABAMOTO

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2005
US
Can anyone recommend me?

So far I have done research and I found NAS server that fits my requirement from Snapserver.com and Armorlink.com. However, Snap Server, although with a very good File Manager Utility + backup utility package, is too pricy.

Usually how much does a NAS cost with non-Microsoft OS? I am getting quoted from $2000~$3000 for just 640GB!!

Thanks.

Checkout Linksys and Maxtor for NAS devices on a budget. You may find getting 2 (or more) of them attached to your network is a better solution than one (expensive) large device.

Regards: tf1

As NAS (and for for that matter SAN) is fairly new technology, as you are finding out, isn't cheap.

We looked at EMC's AX1000 (entry level SAN) with 4 terabytes of storage, dual processors and all the bells and whistles. The unit is sold thru Dell. Definetly got hit by sticker shock. Cost was about $19,000!

Our network ppl build a new server for a bit less, uising SATA drives. With a total of 4.8 terabytes (we store scanned paper documents).

From my experience the only reason not to custom make your NAS or SAN is for the warranty & support options or because of a lack of time. Custom built rigs can only go as far as overnight RMA while prebuilt ones, like ones from Dell, get lots of support options.

I'ld base my decision on your IT department. If you have knowledgable server management staff it might be better just to let them build one.

SANS and NAS aren't all that new, but I agree that $2000-$3000 seems a bit high for only 640 GB. Considering that you can get a pair of 320 GB drives for under $500, wrapping that in a system with a Linux derivative (or even a minimal Windows 2000 install) for filesharing could be done for $1000 pretty easily.

That being said, you get what you pay for. I saw someone else talking about buying EMC kit, and I can tell you that their hardware is by far the best storage hardware I have ever used. I recently purchased a CX300 with about 3 TB of disk space and paid about $30,000 for it (using FC and SATA drives in separate drawers). That's actually a pretty awesome price for what we got, especially considering some vendors were charging close to $40,000 for the same config. Granted, that comes with a host of management capabilities, and is a highly redundant high performance SAN. If all you need is a JBOD then it would definitely be overkill. It really depends on what you need it to do. If you need high speed and high availability, then you'll want something like EMC provides.

Something else to keep in mind, when you're getting quotes on expensive kit like this you can usually negotiate on the prices. We had three different vendors bidding to supply us with the exact same EMC solution, and after some negotiating we got a final sale price that saved us 25%.

All you are talking about is a file server with some kind of software for NAS. Depends what your needs are. Commercial Servers are not cheap. They often have mulitple gigabit ethernet in 64 bit PCI slosts. This is for fast access by multiple users.

You can probably just take a bare bones PC with integrated video or a cheap video card and put some hard drives in it. Some newer motherboards have integrated gigabit ethernet and support for multiple SATA Drives. Probably lots of people sell backup software. 300Gig SATA drives are not too expensive.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Dear all:
Thanks for sharing your experiences/knowledges.

Indeed, File Server of 640GB with data management (including backup) software utility seems pricy. I can actually build similar hardware level with M/B that has 4 SATA for less than $1000.

However, reliability and support is what I am really looking for, like EmbraceIT said. Because my IT dept has limited man power, after-service is very important.

As for EMC, Terabyte is something too much for us. Our data is small but critical.

I searched another company called "armorlink" and they quoted me for around $2000 for P3 1.26Ghz with 512RAM, 2 Gigbyte LAN, 4 hot swappable HDD total of 640GB, Linux OS and their own special NAS software. That seems alright because we do get local tech support from them.

Also, dedicated NAS has OS on chip, which is more secure in my opinion. I think for all business above SOHO should adapt industrial standard IT equipment as much as possible in order to assure reliability and performance.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back