Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Method to Transfer Data from WebApp to a Private PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennycad

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
AU

Hi,

I have a web app that will produce some output data in JSON format. I need to get that data to a private PC where it will be processed and further outputs produced and emailed back to a registered user.

Question is what is the best way to transfer the data. There will be many users of the web app but only one 'process' PC.

Not something I know a lot about. I thought of a couple of ways but they don't seem to be that effective and surely there is a better way.

1. WebApp uses AJAX to transfer data to web server php which sends the data via email to the private PC. Customised email client receives email and extracts data OR

2. WebApp uses AJAX to create a data file on web server. Every X minutes the PC checks the web server via FTP and collects any new data files for process.

3. WA uses AJAC to create data file. PHP sends email with attached data file to Dropbox email uploader, Dropbox account linked to PC. Local software watches Dropbox folder for arriving data files.

All seem overly complicated,but not sure what typical procedure would be for this type of data exchange.

Any direction appreciated.

Thanks

K

The typical procedure would be to process it on the server but I guess there are other constraints I don't know about. Maybe if you give us more data we gan give you some hints.

Cheers,
Dian

Thanks for the reply Dian.

I've made a bit if progress since, still not sure if best method but it works so far.

Website that is hosted on my ISP server. User completes various forms which produces some JSON data. Aim is that data produced by all users of site end up on my home PC where the data files will be processed with the output files (various reports and tech drawings ) will be emailed back to the website user.

What I have ended up with so far that works is as follows:

1.Website compiles JSON data and Ajax POSTS it to php script on website server which created a txt file on the server. This happens each time a user submits data created.

2.Vb.net program running on my home PC intermittently retrieves a list of txt files on the website server. Files present are copied to home PC. Files on website server are deleted via php script. Files then process on PC.

Am I on the right track? Next issue will be how a website user registers their details and getting them to home PC securely. I figure I can use encryption at both ends but need same pass key in local storage of website user PC/mobile device and on home PC database.

I'm new to cross web communication protocols and methods.

Thanks in advance.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back