Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Internet browser for Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anya972

Technical User
Nov 15, 2009
MK
I have my PC for about 10 years , and it runs with win 98 ... It worked just fine ... But since I ve changed my Internet provider , something happened and the computer started to freeze and run very slow ...I ve made some diagnostics and some of the problems are connected with the browser ...I removed Firefox , and it went really fast with Microsoft Internet Explorer ... But this version ( IE 5.0) don t support Yahoo or Facebook , or other applications , and other versions don t support Windows 98 :)...

Can you recommend me appropriate Internet browser and a good free AV for Windows 98 (just to mention that my RAM is only 32MB - but I m personally attached with my pC , and I would like to use it as long as i can ...

Thanks in advance
Anya

For a free antivirus go here It is free and works well & will work on Win98, as for browser try Opera or firefox mabey an older version.

xit

I have IE6 running on SE. And there was a 6.5 I ran across but lost. But 6 is probably going to be made obsolete shortly, even though there are reports that it is still aroung 30% of the market worldwide.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have win98 se installed on my old IBM Aptiva. 32mb ram. To be honest I keep my old computers too :) I put Firefox 2 on it seems to be running great. I have ie6 installed on it ran o.k.
I find the best anti-virus for any computer is Eset NOD32 2.7
Work with windows 98+. Never had a problem with it and doesnt slow down cpu at all. Computer boots in about a minute and a half. Glad to help with anything I can :)

Thank you nickel052 ,
My computer is still slow ...It got faster just when I removed firefox , but since I ve installed Opera and clamwin it is slow again... It also make some noise - ( like it is working with a lot of effort )
I ll try Firefox 2 , and remove clamwin , but I was wondering - could I reinstall it if I don t have a CD-Rom ? (floppy only , but this computer is connected with my new PC , so maybe I can use that CD-ROM - or not ? :) What OS can "handle" this computer properties ?

For the slow computer problems you might want to consider reloading the OS. Things get corrupted over time and reloading can help sort it out.
You could copy the install stuff across the connection to your other computer and save it locally on the hard drive.
Then do an "over the top" reinstall, putting the new files in place of the old. But be careful about it. You need hardware drivers to make everything work again and not having them can lead to the system becoming unusable.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I just reinstalled my 98. You should have IE6, its your only choice now. Otherwise, you will come into funny new internet crashing problems. Same with Windows 2000. It is best to have a copy of the IE6 sp1 from one of thier difficult to find websites because thier own website is difficult to find where it exists. There you can also download the 128 high encryption pack and other recommended patches down the screen. But I recommend not going on the internet or always have your reinstall plan prepared. Mozilla will not work with 98. seems like its fading away but you better get at least a back up of IE6 and you have to be connected to the internet to install it. Google seems like a freindly non-crashing home page to see that your connected.

I love my 10 year old windows 98se computer too.. Try to find some extra ram for that box. 32mb?!!! You can still use yahoo mail classic, your best bet as others have mentioned would be ie6, opera is pretty good too.

You would have to disable alot of scripting in ie6 otherwise your poor computer will be infested with so much stuff its not even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back