Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best IDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusBrown

Programmer
Nov 24, 2000
GB
Not a troll honestly, just fishing for opinions on various ide's out there - specifically Forte, Visual Cafe, Visaj and Visual J++.

How easy is it to produce truely platform independent software using Visual J++? Can you simply avoid using the Windows Foundation Classes?

The project in question is to develop an applet, are any particularly better than others for this?

Thanks,

Gus

I agree. I was using Metrowerks Codewarrior for a while and then I downloaded a free Personal Edition of Borland JBuilder from the borland site and haven't looked back. I am not totally convinced by the GUI designer but it does work ok. The rest of the functionality is very good though and the actual layout of the IDE makes it very nice to work in.

I don't know if I am the only one to find problems with Visual J++ but my resource files for the forms kept on getting corrupted which meant that I had to redesign them a couple of times from scratch, easy to solve but very very annoying!

don't forget that Visual J++ is alos stuck at Java version 1.1.8. Never to be upgraded. Best to use one like JBuilder where you can change the version you use.
bruce21.jpg

If you want a lite IDE (no GUI Building stuff), try JCreator. It is small, fast and effective.

and don't forget emacs (although this is much better on Linux as XEmacs) not really an IDE as such, more of a sophisticated text editor. But still good.
bruce21.jpg

TextPad is nice, it's just a word prossesor that supports Java, C, & C++. You set the tools to use the compiler you have & TextPad will compile from Windows & also run it from Windows.

TextPad also has a nice feature in the run menu where you can run an MS-DOS based command, like your Java compiler & it will set it as a tool automaticaly. "and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." --Pink Floyd: Eclipse

"I'm going to spend eternity
reinstalling Windows." --Reinstalling Windows: by some British guy

I have tried some the Java IDE which are there , but them of all , it was Forte 4java ver 2.0 (Sun) is robust , also JDeveloper from oracle as it blends well with the Oracle database and ite 9i application Server , where we can deploy and test EJB's too .

How can I delete a remote file . I have the username and password of the remote machine .. I am using

sun.net.ftp.*;
sun.net.*;

Can anyone please help . This is urgent.

Manas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back