Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best hard disk scheme for IIS 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelter

Technical User
May 22, 2002
CH
Hi,

I will install IIS 5 on Windows 2000 Server (from scratch), which is the best partitionning config ?

Thank you

The most important thing on the partition is to use NTFS instead of any FAT system. YOU can also make two partitions or more, one for the Operating system and other for The IIS, the rest for future use. YOu just need to set apart some Gigs depending on your future plans (How big the site will be , etc) A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Turn off indexing in Windows explorer as well for the specific drive that will be serving web pages. There are dozens of security measures you should also account for if its going to be available externally. SANS ( has a few good papers on this.

use dto work for an ISP, here is how we did it,

4Gb c: partition, delete or disable default ftp sites.

make a big D: drive

make dir websites, put all your customer web sites in this folder

d:\websites\customer1
d:\websites\customer2
d:\websited\customer3

make new web sites and point the home directory to the respective customer.

this will eliminate some directory traversal issues with people accessing running system programs.

also look at some IIS hardening guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back